Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Target 9mm? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/target-9mm-80861/)

clue 01-10-2013 02:59 AM

Target 9mm?

I am in search of a 9mm. This will be used almost exclusively for target and range fun, maybe some competition in the future. I am obviously looking for something that is full size and accurate. Right now I am considering Springfield XDM Competition w/ 5.25'' barrel, S&W M&P9 Pro Series, a CZ of some sort possibly the CZ75B, and farther down the list is a Glock 34. I already have a G23 and I like it but I think I want to try sth different and stay away from Glock.

What do you all think? Is there another obvious choice I am over looking? I am looking for opinions on the models I have listed as well as suggestions for models I have over looked. I would also like to try and keep this purchase under $700. Thanks in advance!

rsfrid 01-10-2013 03:59 AM

I use the XDm 5.25 (in fact I have 2) and have had Springer Precision in Oregon rework them to be even better. I had the barrel of one replaced with a BarSto match barrel and added a Leopold Delta Point dot site. Excellent accuracy with carefully made handloads (sub 2" groups at 25 and 50 yards from a sand bag rest. This gun shoots very well out of the box, but even better with a bit of work. Hope this helps.

jebsca 01-10-2013 10:22 AM

I have and like the Beretta 92FS. It is full size, shoots better than I do, can be had for less than $700 (if they are not price gouging) and is a 9mm. I like it enough that I picked up a second one this past summer.

clue 01-10-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebsca
I have and like the Beretta 92FS. It is full size, shoots better than I do, can be had for less than $700 (if they are not price gouging) and is a 9mm. I like it enough that I picked up a second one this past summer.

I've thought about that but heard the grips were pretty large. I'm am average sized guy so that probably wouldn't be a problem.

clue 01-10-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsfrid
I use the XDm 5.25 (in fact I have 2) and have had Springer Precision in Oregon rework them to be even better. I had the barrel of one replaced with a BarSto match barrel and added a Leopold Delta Point dot site. Excellent accuracy with carefully made handloads (sub 2" groups at 25 and 50 yards from a sand bag rest. This gun shoots very well out of the box, but even better with a bit of work. Hope this helps.

Thanks I appreciate it. I've recently been leaning towards this model just wanted to hear from somebody that has one and make sure I'm not forgetting any others.

XsV 01-11-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clue (Post 1088133)
I've thought about that but heard the grips were pretty large. I'm am average sized guy so that probably wouldn't be a problem.

They really are not that bad. I mean, I do have big hands but my 92 hasn't ever felt "large". It is an amazing gun, so smooth. But if you are planning on modifying for competition it may not be your best bet. The XDm however, was dang near built for that type of shooting.

jhelms 01-11-2013 02:07 AM

I shoot and carry a cz75b and I really like it. It's the most accurate nine you'll ever shoot in my opinion. Though once I can afford a glock that's what ill have as a carry gun. But for Target, hard to beat cz.

mdemotte 01-11-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhelms
I shoot and carry a cz75b and I really like it. It's the most accurate nine you'll ever shoot in my opinion. Though once I can afford a glock that's what ill have as a carry gun. But for Target, hard to beat cz.

I couldn't agree more the Cz-75 is by far the most accurate pistol I have ever shot. This beats out some of my other favorites like Sig 226 and glock 17.

juststartin5272 01-11-2013 03:54 AM

Go to czcustomshop.com and check out some of their target 75's they can get expensive but for a gun of that quality it is worth it.

orangello 01-11-2013 03:58 AM

I have been very happy with the used CZ75b i picked up for $400~. I would prefer a decocker model, though; manually riding that hammer down is unsettling to me.