Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Tactical Unload Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tactical Unload Question

Does anyone have Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford? If so, please turn to the bottom of pages 99 and 100. In this section, Stanford says this:

Quote:
Originally from Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford, pages 99 & 100

To unload a semiautomatic firearm, most people first remove the magazine, then clear the chamber. The procedure described next, advocated by fellow instructor Greg Hamilton, does double duty. It both clears the weapon for administrative purposes (i.e. when there is no immediate threat) and provides practice at the first half of the standard remedial action procedure, described shortly.

First, pull the slide to the rear and engage the slide stop lever, locking the action open. This will likely require that you shift he gun in your dominant hand in order to put your thumb in a position to push upward on the lever. Next, press the magazine release and use the nondominant hand to remove the magazine from the well. Then, place the magazine under the [pinky] finger of your dominant hand, trapping it between the finger and the frame. Finally, cycle the slide several times to ensure that the chamber is clear.
I just don't understand why they are recommending locking the slide back manually first versus just simply hitting the magazine release. This just seems like an extra step to me that one may not want to do in a dangerous situation. Can any expert chime in? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hey there, it just so happens that I have this book right here in my office. The way I'm reading this is that he is just simply talking about unloading a firearm and making sure the chamber is clear. If a person were to simply just eject the mag, there is a good chance that a round is still chambered and the gun.

By no means am I an expert, just thought I'd chime in since I had the book right here.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #3

Hmmm. It appears as though you're right. It was just odd placement in the book for a simple task like that... It's gotta be linked to something else he's trying to teach. Thanks for replying! Happy to see someone else actually have that book, haha! It has great reviews. I just bought it recently.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

I was wondering what a tactical unload was...to me that would be a full mag into the bad guy...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like your thinking Pyle.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I was wondering what a tactical unload was...to me that would be a full mag into the bad guy...
Well that's the thing... But there must be some reason he's telling people to put the mag in their pinky finger... It has to do with prepping for a reload I think.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
Well that's the thing... But there must be some reason he's telling people to put the mag in their pinky finger... It has to do with prepping for a reload I think.
Quite possibly...in a true SD situation you would just drop the mag to the ground but in IDPA or other competitive shooting I do not believe that you can drop a mag with any rounds left in it. So if you need to do a tactical reload you will have to learn to have both mags in your hand while reloading. The pinky grab allows you to retrieve the fresh mag with thumb and forefinger...then drop the slide using the slide release.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington