SW40VE Sigma (New) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SW40VE Sigma (New)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPD13 View Post
Did you get it dirty yet?
I think SGT is too busy out buyin' new guns to actually shoot them!

Must have been a big refund SGT!

Come-on, lets see some targets!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #12

I bought the .40 sigma a few weeks ago... just now getting used to the trigger pull and distance.

Haven't had any FTF's... i'm hittin' a 5" circle at 20 yards consistently.
The Sig was gettin a bad rap on some other forums but i'm fallin for it big time....

Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm waiting for my renewed range membership combos for access to the area to come in the mail.

I shoot at a private, member's only range (which I love, BTW).

I'm getting a little annoyed by how they seem to be taking their sweet time with this.....................

I have a brand new Springfield XD 9mm, a brand new S&W Sigma .40 cal, and a new to me Mosin Nagant M91/30.

I have 150 rounds for my rifle, and about 200 rounds each for my pistols.

Yeah............imagine yourself as a kid, and you just got a brand new toy for Christmas. Then your parents say, you can only look at it for awhile and they'll let you know when you can actually play with it.........

Anyways....[/RANT OFF]

Old 02-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #14

I like my S&W 40VE, shot it back to back with my S&W442, and the 40VE has a little lighter pull than the 442. the 40VE has never given me any issues, easy takedown, easy clean. Great gun for the $.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
NC is open carry?

I've found a reason to move North!
NC just doesn't specifically have a law prohibiting open carry, although they "advise against it" It's not illegal though. But you do have to be careful with that whole "going armed to the terror of the people" thing. NC seems pretty cool on that though.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #16

Default horrible sights

I bought a SW40VE recently and although I am generally pleased with the quality of material and action, the thing is impossible to aim accurately. At a distance of approximately 10 yards, rounds strike about 10-14" below point of aim.

Thinking I was doing something wrong, I turned it over to my NRA LE Instructor/range buddy and the results were the same. We even tried using different ammo. To come anywhere close to grouping near bull, one must raise the front sight complete above the sight window at 10 yards. To me, that is not acceptable and I am contacting S&W to see about repair, replacement or refund. A firearm that cannot be aimed is not very useful.

I don't mind the heavy trigger but it has to shoot in the general vicinity of where its pointed, for crying out loud. It won't even hit paper when using a slow-fire target at 10 yards. The same day at the range, we fired two Glocks, a Beretta and a Bersa. We were both able to keep a good group around bull at various distances from 3-7-10-15 yards - except with my new SW40VE.

Maybe I just got a defect. Hopefully S&W will stand behind their product as I am requesting that they make amends for this glaring defect.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How are you engaging the trigger? If you are pulling the trigger in a quicker fashion in order to compensate for the heavy trigger pull, you will put your rounds off-target every time.

The Sigma is tricky to shoot well. The heavy trigger means that more muscles are flexed when pulling off a shot. The more muscles that are flexed, the more chance you will be off target.

All pistols are test fired before they leave the factory. This is to ensure that the pistol indeed works, and it is also to ensure the pistol shoots where it's supposed to.

If you are pulling your shots 10-14 inches below point of aim at 10 yards, try different ammo (180 grain tends to be finicky as far as aim - go with a lighter load). Also take your time, and really pay attention to fundamentals. It took me awhile to get the hang of this pistol, and I can put rounds within 2 inches at 15 yards with my other pistols if I took my time.

There is a small chance that the sights might be that off, though. I would see about getting a pistol rest from someone, and test he Sigma that way. If it shoots straight on from the machine rest, you will know that it is you and not the pistol.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #18

hey stalking bear how did you modify the trigger pull on your sigma cuz i just bought one i think it is a nice gun but i would like to reduce the trigger pull on mine it seems to be at about 9 or 10 lbs currently. now im not complaining but i think it would be a lot more fun to shoot if i could reduce it by almst half.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's not simple to do a full action tune to a Sigma. I totally disassembled it, polished all contact areas, fitted everything I could, reworked the disconnector, and made my own springs for it. Fairly basic but if you had to pay a gunsmith for the work it would cost more than the pistol. I think by now you should be able to just buy a Wolff spring kit for it. Like I said, quite a job but the results are worth it.