Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Summer carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Summer carry

Im currently carrying a sig c3 1911 but am in the market for a good smaller summer time carry gun. Im thinking about a sig p238. What would you guys recommend to broaden my market? Price isn't that big of a concern either.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

colt new agent or colt defender. since you already carry a 1911 its no stretch to go smaller.

my new agent. you can see how small it is. still holds 7+1 in the short colt mag and uses any standard sized 1911 mag. so reliable it will cycle empty cases.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #3

Nice rig man. So on a scale from 1 to 10 how well does it hide? Im about 6'5" 165 lbs so concealing my 1911 is a chore in its own. Also what position do you carry it. I prefer iwb about 4 o'clock.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Coming in March: Springfield Armory's XDs45. That'd be my suggestion in 45acp, although I also like the Kahr CW45 and PM45.

Micro 9mm is another option. I think the Ruger LC9 offers a lot for the price. And again, Kahr has some good offerings.

I'm not a big 380acp fan myself. I'd just prefer the more formidable and affordable 9mm in a similar but slightly larger package.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adw1989 View Post
Nice rig man. So on a scale from 1 to 10 how well does it hide? Im about 6'5" 165 lbs so concealing my 1911 is a chore in its own. Also what position do you carry it. I prefer iwb about 4 o'clock.
it looks like you got a pager under your shirt at worst. i carry in about the same place. the grip is verrrry slim on the new agent

here is the new agent compaired to my xdm 45 compact

when i wear the finish down on the new agent im just gonna have it nitrited or something.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-29-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #6

Very nice. I am wanting to keep it 45 so this is a great option and I checked out the xds online and it's pretty sweet too. I image it would probably come down to the 2. What's an average price on the new agent?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Not sure i bought mine dirt cheap a couple years ago. Here in wisconsin ccw had passed both houses and while it looked a sure thing a lot of shops stocked up on small ccw guns. The idiot governor vetoed it. It got within 1 vote of override and it was a rino republican overroad it. Six months later i bought mine for 650$. Pretty much dealer cost.

Almost three years later scott walker gets ccw passed and you cant find a small gun in wisconsin at all.

Best bet check someonline dealers for best prices. Last one i saw in wisconsin was asking 950$ for a new agent. But i know its way better price in other states and online

Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I carry the Kimber Ultra Carry in a Crossbreed Holster and I love it! The Kimber conceals very well. It retails for $850 but you can catch them on sale for low to mid $700. For being small the Kimber is amazingly accurate I love it.

"... I simply cannot stand by and watch a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States come under attack from those who either can't understand it, don't like the sound of it, or find themselves too philosophically squeamish to see why it remains the first among equals: Because it is the right we turn to when all else fails. That's why the Second Amendment is America's first freedom. ..."
Charlton Heston
Speech to National Press club
September, 1997

Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #9

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adw1989 View Post
Im currently carrying a sig c3 1911 but am in the market for a good smaller summer time carry gun. Im thinking about a sig p238. What would you guys recommend to broaden my market? Price isn't that big of a concern either.
JonM, nice rig. I like my Kimber Ultra CDP but I want something bigger for the cooler months, looking at the C3, Colt Commander and a few others.

The Ultra is a great shooter, it is showing some wear inside the frame from the recoil spring rod but has not been enough to worry me and has not gotten any worse after the first 200 rounds. It is super easy to conceal as would be the New Agent.

Don't rule out the wheel guns, several are excellent choices for more discrete carry or warmer weather.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #10

Actually I have a wheel gun that I bought just for that but I can't seem to get it away from my wife! Lol she's pretty much taken it from me. Its a Taurus 327 fed mag snubby and she loves it.