Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Suggestions on a handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Suggestions on a handgun

The problem I have when considering a handgun is finding one that offers everything I am interested in,...hopefully you have some suggestions.

Accuracy,.....I would like to exceed short ranges typical of most handguns. Close to 100 yds would be nice.

Power,... I would like something with some knock down,.....a .22 is fun for plinking but I am talking if you could only bring one handgun for every situation.

Capacity ranks high on my list,...10+ if possible.

I have considered a Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol .223,... I would like something I could shoot without going completely deaf.

Perhaps what I am looking for isnt being produced,...... any suggestions in a firearm that is fairly compact lightweight with accuracy, capacity and some power would be appreciated. Be gentle Im a new guy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You want to shoot out to 100 yards with a handgun? Is this pistol to be for hunting then, or target practice? I presume not for concealed carry.

With the above in mind. I'd look into a good size revolver that can mount a scope, specially if you want to shoot out to 100 yards. Something in a .44 magnum maybe, or maybe the .500 S&W magnum. Most everything else I don't think would fit your criteria.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get a Glock in 40 cal. Such as a G22 it has the 10+ capacity you require and it has knockdown capacity and if needed with an add on stock it can shoot out to 100 yards but not too accurate at that range.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default No Such Animal

I think you want a handgun that has not been made yet. Long range (100 yards is long range for a handgun), high capacity, accurate handgun, low recoil,,,,,, if it is invented the military will buy them all!!!!!
A pistol caliber carbine would do all things you want, except be a pistol. At least look at the Beretta CX4 or Ruger PC series. I like an MP5 in 40 S&W or one in 10mm - it will be expensive and hard to find - but since we are dreaming that shouldn't be a problem.
John Q.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Tanker60A3;12744]I think you want a handgun that has not been made yet. Long range (100 yards is long range for a handgun), high capacity, accurate handgun, low recoil,,,,,, if it is invented the military will buy them all!!!!!
A pistol caliber carbine would do all things you want, except be a pistol.

I thought a pistol was a handgun,....recoil wouldnt be to much of a problem for me.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Handgun / Pistol

Most people use either word. Some use, "hawg leg." The word doesn't matter, or does it?
I must admit that I was wrong about what you want not being made. I looked in my safes and came up with an idea for you.
A Desert Eagle Mark 19 in .357 Magnum. 9 + 1 capacity with a 6 or 10 inch barrel. I have a 6 inch 44 Magnum (8 + 1 capacity) MK7 and the recoil is not bad at all, remember this gun is big and heavy. I would guess the .357 has little to no real recoil.
100 yard accuracy with a scope should be reasonable if the 44 is any indicator, but I have no direct experience with that weapon.
.357 would be the least expensive to shoot., and with 110 to 180 grain bullets will handle most anything.
.44 is more expensive and louder - and you said that was something you didn't want.
John Q.