Suggestions for first Handgun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Suggestions for first Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Suggestions for first Handgun

I recently turned 21 and am interested in purchasing a handgun. My only problem is my budget which is around $400. I'd like to get a decent quality gun and have considered buying a used one. The only criteria I'm looking to meet is a larger caliber than a .22 and not a revolver. I'm open to any suggestions. I have plenty of experience with guns and gun safety; I'm just not that knowledgeable with different models.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #2

Are you looking for a steel or polymer frame. I decided I just don't like the polymers and decided to go with a Stoeger Cougar 8000. They run about 400 shipped. If you are looking for a polymer, Sig sp2022 and Ruger SR9 and SR40 std and compacts can be had for that price also.

Last edited by patches; 11-13-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Patches pretty much said it for me. I personally have and carry the Ruger SR9c and I strongly recommend that, but ultimately you need to go to some local gunshops, look at their inventory, see what feels the best to you, and fits the bill. There are two very important things I recommend for a first handgun or for a new shooter, start with the 9mm, because it will allow more range time, be less expensive, and is easier to learn off of, and secondly consider going with a handgun you can get all your fingers on the grip, because it's harder to shoot a subcompact handgun, it's harder for a new shooter to handle, and it's harder to learn off of.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #4

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts

There are tons of offerings in your price range that would all be excellent choices. Look at Ruger, FNH, Glock, Sig, S&W, Springfield, and all the others too! Do yourself a favor and go to a gun store. While there, hold as many as you can to get an idea of what feels good. Then start researching specific weapons to get a better feel for what others think of them. No one gun is an end all be all perfect first pistol.. I went with the Ruger SR9 standard and I love it and the ammo is about the most affordable of all centerfire sidearms... You sir have some homework to do!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #5

Really appreciate the advice, definitely helped steer me in the right direction and narrow the field. A week until payday gives me time to research.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22190 Times on 12450 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DankYouKindly View Post
Really appreciate the advice, definitely helped steer me in the right direction and narrow the field. A week until payday gives me time to research.
another bit of advise, check out many and narrow it down to a few. if you find one that you really like that fits in your hand well, and it's out of your budget, wait and save the extra up, because if you settle for less than what fits well, you will be disappointed. better to spend a little more and be happy and be able to shoot it well. like the others i recommend the 9mm for same reasons, lower cost ammo allows more practice and the recoil is tame for a first time pistol shooter. when you narrow it down to a few, come back and let us know and we will be glad to give more advice or opinions. good luck.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3310 Times on 1906 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Does it have to be new? There are some deals to be had in the used market.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22190 Times on 12450 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Does it have to be new? There are some deals to be had in the used market.
yes, i agree, you can sometimes find great deals on used pistols if you look around. here is my suggestion on this, if buying used, buy from a reputable gun dealer or shop, so as not to get someone else's problems. i recently bought a few months ago, a SA XDm40 for $475+tax, MSRP $697, dealer sold it for $670+tax NIB. so ther are some great deals if you shop around. mine had less than 50 rounds put through it, so it was just barely used.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2471 Times on 1323 Posts
Likes Given: 879

I'd look hard at a Ruger SR9c for that price range.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My first thought was a 4" GP100 but then I saw that you didn't want a revolver.

You can find a used XD in 9mm for that money. I think 9mm would be a good first round as it's got enough power for self defense yet it's recoil is very managable.

I still think you should look at a GP100....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer