Suggestions On A 380 CCW Upgrade? Glock 19 W/+P Maybe?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Suggestions On A 380 CCW Upgrade? Glock 19 W/+P Maybe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Suggestions On A 380 CCW Upgrade? Glock 19 w/+P Maybe?

I have a SW BG 380 and even though it's nice I really would like something with a little more "authority"... My Sig Tac Ops 1911 is just too heavy really and anyway I have STILL not found a holster for it ... but that's not what this thread is about... I see there are Gen 3 and 4, 10 and 15 rd G19s around... I've never owned a Glock but I seem to see a lot of people saying the Glock 19 with +P ammo is a really ideal CCW so I have been leaning toward maybe checking that out. BUT I have also read mixed info saying the G19 isn't designed to handle +P. I was also looking at the Springfield XD-S 45 but haven't really compared sizes and I think I would rather have the capacity of the G19; also I think +P 9mm should be good. I know I wont find anything as comfortable as my BG but I do want something specifically for CCW... slim profile, etc... under $600.

Thoughts, other suggestions?

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 06-22-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If a 9mm is what you're looking for there are several that will do what you ask. First though are you looking to stay near the size of your current carry gun? There are a couple subcompacts that will fit the need pretty well. The Sig 938 springs to mind here.
Being you are looking at things like the Glock 19 you might want something a little bigger. If a smaller poly, striker fired pistol is your cup of tea then the G19 does do well there.There's also the XD, S&W M&P-SD-Sigma,despite the Taurus stigma there are a few there that would also fit the bill.Sig Sauer has some great pistols but some can get a little pricey.
The FNP and FNX pistols are fantastic.nda have the much sought after poly frames as well.

Bottom line is go out and pick up a few and see how they feel to you. It really doesn't matter how well a handgun us reviewed. If it doesn't fit you well then it's an overpriced paperweight. This is one of my issues with Glock, THey just feel like a brick in my hand and I don't feel I shoot them as well as other designs,

You can't find a holster for your 1911? Or is it more a size and weight issue?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
If a 9mm is what you're looking for there are several that will do what you ask. First though are you looking to stay near the size of your current carry gun? There are a couple subcompacts that will fit the need pretty well. The Sig 938 springs to mind here.
Being you are looking at things like the Glock 19 you might want something a little bigger. If a smaller poly, striker fired pistol is your cup of tea then the G19 does do well there.There's also the XD, S&W M&P-SD-Sigma,despite the Taurus stigma there are a few there that would also fit the bill.Sig Sauer has some great pistols but some can get a little pricey.
The FNP and FNX pistols are fantastic.nda have the much sought after poly frames as well.

Bottom line is go out and pick up a few and see how they feel to you. It really doesn't matter how well a handgun us reviewed. If it doesn't fit you well then it's an overpriced paperweight. This is one of my issues with Glock, THey just feel like a brick in my hand and I don't feel I shoot them as well as other designs,

You can't find a holster for your 1911? Or is it more a size and weight issue?
Well, well a fellow drummer... I picked up a new kit of Sonor/Sabian recently on a side note

Yeah I need to put a few in my hand... I am thinking the 9mm +P with a decent size mag... of course a smaller size is not a negative but does need to fit ME, as you mentioned.

As for action type, I love my 1911... I mean really, how can you not? However I'm not super thrilled about just having the safety on with a chambered round using it as a carry even if the size/weight wasn't an issue but I haven't found the holster as I mentioned to even know how I'd feel about it.... everyone has these Sig 5" railed holsters but when you contact them and ask they will tell you they don't fit the Tac Ops... even Sigs Railed Paddle Holster has to be filed and modified... it's a real pain in the ass but I will find something soon enough... not too worried about it really as it's for HD anyway.

At first glance and feel of my BG 380 I hated the long pull on that thing and I still am not too happy with it but in the moment of needing it with your reflexes going it's really not a problem. Again I will just have to feel some different handguns out I think but I am up for suggestions.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Have u gotten the chance to look at a ruger sr9c they run +p loads quite well

Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #5

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Here are some 9mm's you should check out on your search in no order.

CZ P-07 and 2075 RAMI
Ruger LC9 and SR9c
Glock 19 and 26
S&W M&P 9c and Shield
Beretta Nano
SIG Sauer P290RS

Happy shopping!

Old 06-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #6

Liked 419 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

i shoot +p in my g19 gen3 and have not had a problem iv only heard not to shoot reloads through the glock.so it is a very ideal ccw pistol in my opinion.i have quite a few other pistols and revolvers but my g19 has become my primary carry pistol,its not my favorite pistol but my favorite ccw pistol.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The first thing is, you have to ask yourself what features you want on your sidearm. What action do you want? For me, I wanted a striker fired pistol without a manual safety. Basically, I wanted a pistol set up just like a Glock, but not a Glock. I never have warmed up to Glock pistols.

After doing some searching, I found the ultimate striker fired pistol IMO. The Caracal C. It's an awesome pistol that is set up just like the Glock, but made to fit human hands. I carry the Caracal everyday and absolutely love it.

As far naming one that's right for you.....well, only you can answer that. It all depends on what features you want, what size you want, what capacity you're comfortable with and what feels good to you.

Here's what I'll recommend and I'll stay with what I know and like......

Striker fired compact - Caracal C
Same size as a G19, but with waaay better trigger, 15+1 capacity, sight radius of full sized pistol, very low bore axis, very ergonomic, Most bang for your buck in this category ($400-$425)

Double action, hammer fired compact - CZ PO7 Duty
Good size for CC, 16+1 capacity, able to change from de-cocker to manual safety, CZ's Omega trigger, very ergonomic, Most bang for your buck in this category ($450-$475)

Last edited by LeadSlanger; 06-22-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #8

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick
BUT I have also read mixed info saying the G19 isn't designed to handle +P.
Not sure who you heard that from but they obviously don't know what they are talking about. A Glock 19 will eat +P ammo all day long with no problems.

If you like 9mm the Glock 19 is certainly an excellent choice for CC although there are others worth looking at, too. It would be hard to go wrong with anything from S&W, Springfield, Walther, Ruger or Kahr. Just handle (and shoot) as many as you can and pick the one you like best.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Not sure who you heard that from but they obviously don't know what they are talking about. A Glock 19 will eat +P ammo all day long with no problems.
I clean my search history regularly and there is a thread i came across somewhere and everyone in it was saying no to +p for the g19 but of course i can't find it now but every other thread seems to say no problem. It's not too unusual to find a group of folks that don't know what they are talking about...

rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the all the request listed so far but remember I want a 9 that is comfortable for cc and a decent mag size that can run buffalo bore +p 24/7 without issue

I see people saying online glocks run factory ammo fine which leads me to assume they have a problem with home loads... I haven't done my homework yet to find out why that would be an issue but I may want to start loading my own before too long... thanks!