Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Suggestion for wife's first handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/suggestion-wifes-first-handgun-69314/)

rurak 07-31-2012 11:36 AM

Suggestion for wife's first handgun

Hi everyone. As the title suggests my wife is interested in purchasing her first handgun. We have shot the guns I own multiple times together and she really seems to enjoy it, especially when she is outshooting me! We looked at guns last night and she really likes the look and feel of the bodyguard .380 in her hand. I did some research on here and found that the general opinion is that it's a good gun but the recoil makes it no fun to shoot. I want her to enjoy this experience and also want her to buy something she both likes and enjoys shooting. I think she would probably be better off with something in .22 lr. She does shoot my Ruger p345 in .45 acp with no problem though. This won't be a carry gun (I can't seem to talk her into that yet), just a plinker. I would love to see a bodyguard .380 or ruger lc9 with a .22 conversion. Is that even possible? Any suggestions? We live in Massachusetts so we've got some pretty stiff gun laws. Thanks in advance.

Gatoragn 07-31-2012 12:07 PM

Certainly a good idea to have 22lr for low cost range time, just not for PD.

My wife chose an S&W J frame in 38 spl. The Ruger LCR was unavailable at the time. Both of these are worthy of consideration and should be available in MA.

A combination of a Ruger SR 9 and an SR 22 would be worthy of consideration.

Springfield's new XDs is on my watch for list.

Just browse the threads for good info.

KeysKelly 07-31-2012 12:16 PM

If it will not be a carry gun I would stay far away from the Body Guard. Any of those pocket .380's, Body Guard, LCP, P3AT, Diamondback, etc are great pocket guns for easy conceal but are very hard on the hand, not too accurate and just no fun to shoot. I own a LCP and carry it more than any other gun I own but it is an up close and personal gun designed to be carried not a fun gun by any means.

My vote, based on what you have said, is a .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel. It is a nice range gun, plenty of power for a protection situation, easy to shoot, practically maintenance free, reliable, accurate, can shoot .38 Specials as well as full power .357's and is just a lot of fun. I own one and love it. I taught both my daughters to shoot with it and they loved it too. She should have no problem shooting the full .357's as you said she shoots .45 with ease but the .38's are a lot easier on the hand and wallet.

rurak 07-31-2012 12:22 PM

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Shes a semi auto kinda gal i think. Shes not into wheel guns :(

marc29th 07-31-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurak
Thanks very much for the suggestions. Shes a semi auto kinda gal i think. Shes not into wheel guns :(

I'd go with a full size 9mm then as it will have less recoil and cheapest price for ammo. Plus there are just so many good guns to choose from so she'll have a good time shopping for it.

hardluk1 07-31-2012 01:00 PM

Stay away from a 380 is a "fun gun" Think toward the future too. She may cc one day so try to streer her toward a pistol she will like andhave the option of one like it but smaller for cc. 9MM is one of the lower cost to shot and in a mid to large frame is very mild to shoot. Maybe what she will like. xd,m&p, ruger P series, glock . What ever look at a indoor range for a rental where with a ammo purchase she can shoot all the different pistols in 1 cartidge. Most do anyhow. Example= If your wife just loves a s&w M&P 9mm down the road a m&p shield may be her cc pistol.

BUT Let Her Choice What She Wants.

rurak 07-31-2012 01:33 PM

She likes the bodyguard because its "cute"........... i will let her choos but not for the wrong reasons

silverado113 07-31-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurak (Post 888073)
She likes the bodyguard because its "cute"........... i will let her choos but not for the wrong reasons

Yeah my wife is the same way! :mad:

utf59 07-31-2012 03:38 PM

rurak,

What guns has she already shot? Which did she like best? And why?

rurak 07-31-2012 04:04 PM

Shes shot my Ruger p345. 45 acp. A Ruger mk III .22 lr and a sig in 9mm and a few rifles. She has very limited experience. As far as which one she likes best i think she likes my. 45 ruger!