Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SubCompact9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Consider the Bersa thunder 9 ultracompactpro. It holds 13+1 but may be a little wider than you want, not sure hoe compact you really want. It is ambidextrous and not too expensive. Mine has their satin nickel finish.
Orangello, have you had any issues with your finish rubbing off? I've always heard Bersa makes a quality product but Ive also been hearing their finish comes off pretty easily. I like their 9mm and want one, but I am curious about this.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1349 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 459

The Bersa Ultra Compact Pro is as large as a lot of compact 1911 pistols. It's twice as wide as an LC9. It's as heavy as a Ruger P95. I like the way that bersa pistols shoot but I never found one I could carry very easily. You can find a lot of 23 oz pistols in the same price range that have a larger capacity and a 4" barrel.

Model: TPUC9
Caliber(s): 9MM
Action: DA/SA
Capacity: 10+1 or 13+1
Barrel Length: 3.25”
Front Sight: Interchangeable Sig Sauer #8
Rear Sight: Interchangeable Sig Sauer #8
Finishes: Duotone or Matte Black
Grips: Checkered Black Polymer
Construction: Alloy Frame/Steel Slide
Safety: Integral Locking System, Manual, Firing Pin
Weight: 23 oz.
Length: 6.5”
Height: 4.75”
Width: 1.45

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
Orangello, have you had any issues with your finish rubbing off? I've always heard Bersa makes a quality product but Ive also been hearing their finish comes off pretty easily. I like their 9mm and want one, but I am curious about this.
I never had, and my sister still hasn't had, any issues with the flat nickel finish on the bersa thunder .380 I had, that is now her purse pistol/car pistol. It still looks very nice.

The bersa thunder 9 UCP that I have came with some scuffs on the slide ( screw you Gander Mountain of Hattiesburg Mississippi ) but has remained otherwise unmarred. I do not carry it in a leather holster and do not carry it daily, as I do not have a concealed carry permit. I do pocket it frequently for late night drives or visits to friends who live in areas with lots of character.

It is similar in appearance, and somewhat similar in function, to a smaller 1911 style pistol or compact Sig, so it does not surprise me that it is similar in size or weight to a 1911 in a similar barrel length. It is not bersa's lightweight carry pistol; they have a polymer model for that, and I have not tried that line. I will say that the ambi controls certainly make it feel wider. I think the little bersa's give a good bang for the buck and have a decent reputation on their warranty.

I personally don't want a 9mm in a smaller or lighter weight pistol than the bersa thunder 9 UCP for reasons of accuracy and recoil. Hence, my disclaimers about size in my initial post.

Bersa's little thunder .380 was perfect for my pockets and is a pistol I will be buying another of to replace the one my sister now has. Some people think .380acp isn't enough for self defense, but at the ranges I would shoot for SD, I think it would be adequate.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 11-25-2013 at 07:39 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #14

Hattiesburg. I mobilized for Iraq out of Hattiesburg, drank a lot of beer down there an the locals are great folks. Thanks of the info. I've been mulling or over for a while now. I need to just go ahead and get one.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
Hattiesburg. I mobilized for Iraq out of Hattiesburg, drank a lot of beer down there an the locals are great folks. Thanks of the info. I've been mulling or over for a while now. I need to just go ahead and get one.
Ah, a Camp Shelby survivor.

See if you can get the dealer to throw in an extra magazine; they are proud of them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Ah, a Camp Shelby survivor. See if you can get the dealer to throw in an extra magazine; they are proud of them.
Heck yeah. Man we cleared more trenches there than Alvin York. 6 months of it.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveGageTaylor
Im looking to get a sub compact 9mm ? Any ideas? Ive always liked XD's...
I just shot the XD9 side by side against my G26. I must admit I really liked the feel of the XD. Just felt good. It's bigger and heavier, though.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know about xd's... But I do have a gen 2.5 glock 26. I have no complaints. Eat up all ammo I throw at it and I have yet to find one as accurate or reliable. Replacement parts are EVERYWHERE. My gun was bought in '96 and is older than me. I do steel challenges with mine, and do very well with mine. I would recommend it. The grip feels like a two by four, and is not ergonomic. My only complaint. It is a great gun. Always functions perfectly. When I shoot it it always fires. I know the m&ps are great, and I would also strongly suggest you look into walther pps. It has different backstraps so you can adjust it to your hand, and it feels great. It's a little bigger than my 26 but way thinner. It pays off. About the same prices too.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #19
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 755 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Here's one everyone overlooks the Beretta PX-4 Storm sub compact. It shoots and feels like a full size 9mm.
This is one of the most accurate pistols I own and I like it enough that I sent it out and had the slide plated, slide stop and safety lever plated
and replaced the guide rod with a SS one. You need to try one to truly appreciate its functionality. Patrick Sweeny of Guns and Ammo gave it a very nice review.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/the-coming-storm-beretta-px4-storm-subcompact-review/

Here is a video

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #20

Liked 1637 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

When I pocket carry an auto I carry a Kahr CM9. With one in the pipe it is 7 rounds of 9mm. I can shoot it quite accurately. At 10 yards I can keep all the shots inside the zero down on an IDPA target.

I believe the Kimber Solo would be a good pocket gun. I have not shot one. But I have held one and dry fired it.

I own a Bersa Ultra in 45 ACP. It is a great gun. But way to bulky and heavy to carry in a front pocket.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.