Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Striker vs. hammer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Smite is a good word...
BUT... Is the past tense 'smote'

Old 06-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #32

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Just curious: Why would you want to give a round a second chance? Seems more rational to me that there are a lot more bad rounds out there than bad guns (just by sheer numbers), but if a gun jams on you in a crisis, wouldn't you wanna get rid of it? Is it really that much faster to "2nd strike" than to rack the slide? Giving a round a second chance at a first impression seems a lot more dangerous than just getting rid of it and starting again with a new round.
in a perfect world i would have to agree and maybe i just have too much imagination.but consider the possibilities ; one arm/hand wounded(broken/shot), one arm carrying/shielding a child, one arm trapped, bad guy too close/no time to rack slide, forced to grapple. and then there are the times you'll be behind cover and you might as well try

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #33

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
BUT... Is the past tense 'smote'
Yes, my friend. You should have said "JD smote him." But I didn't go there, you did. I knew you felt good typing that so I didn't want to rain on your parade.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #34

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Hi,

I haven’t found any pros & cons of striker vs. hammer in posts except in passing. Are there pros & cons?
For every fan of any system you will find a collection of folks that will put it down for whatever reasons and most of these reasons have to do with personal taste or in most cases the "what I have is better" syndrome.

My favorite carry guns are:
Wilson Combat CQB (Hammer single action)
H&K P2000 LEM (Hammer with DA first pull but consistent trigger pull for all shots, decocks itself when finger comes off trigger)
Walther PSP (striker, Glock like system)

They all work well and all it takes to master them is practice. They are all safe and all it takes for them to be so is... well practice.

Of all the trigger systems the one I find the least user friendly is the old DA/SA because of the long heavy first pull and transition to light SA pull and the fact that when you stop shooting it leaves a gun in SA mode that needs to be decocked in some manner. But guess what, I carried plenty of those in the 80-90s and loved them and learned to shoot them accurately and safely and all it took was.... hummmm... PRACTICE!!!

So the key is that the system mean a heck of a lot less than what amount of practice you put into it to become proficient.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #35

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post

I also had an old friend from when I was a teen (hadn't seen him in many years) - I recently found out a story about him that happened a few years ago... He apparently was getting car jacked (back in Louisiana), and he grabbed his gun from the center console as he started to comply to get out the car. Guess what he did... As he swept himself with the muzzle to bring the gun in an aiming position, he shot himself in the knee/leg. Boom... Now, he walks with a limp all the time and can't get around well...

Dumb? Yes. Can I see how it could easily happen in a super high stress situation? Yes, I can. Especially after seeing how your thoughts change during the adrenaline dump... Plus, look at all the accidental discharges that are stupidly done by law enforcement officers who carry Glocks. And, people ARE people. We all screw up and make mistakes throughout our lives, even with stuff we practice. So, it's easy to say "the real safety is in your head" - but people mess up sometimes in normal situations... What could happen in an adrenaline dump?
Please don't take this the wrong way but your friend shot himself because he went into a situation totally unprepared. I have fired a boatload of rounds from inside vehicles in carjacking scenarios with Glocks, 1911's, Walthers, HKs etc and have never shot my leg. WHY? Because the muzzle of my gun follows a path in front of me where it never points at my groin. That habit was aquired through practice. Did your buddy ever practice taking that gun out of the console of his car swiftly and getting a shot off. Bet the answer is no. Did he ever even practice drawing while seated... is that a no too?

When the adrenaline dump happens you only go back to what you have practiced. If you have not practiced anything your motor skills go to hell and we are just winging it with disastrous consequences. This was not an equipment failure. This was a failure of one who bought a guitar and never took a lesson thinking he is Eddie VanHalen. Unfurtunately he is in the majority...

Old 06-29-2011, 12:45 AM   #36

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have no idea if he practiced that or not. I do agree that practicing helps.

But I also believe in KISS and maybe thinking things thru to find the least stress inducing mistake. Until you are in such an experience, it is very easy to sit all day long and say what you WOULD do. How many times do we go about our lives, and then after an event happens, we look at ourselves and see how we just did something stupid... And how we wish we would have done it differently?

And that is over simple stuff. With an adrenaline dump, thought sorta goes out the window.

Go with any route ya want. It doesn't matter to me. But after my personal experience, I prefer DA/SA with that heavier and longer first shot to lessen my chances of becoming an idiot at the wrong moment...

And if people didn't routinely become idiots at the wrong moment, we wouldn't be having this conversation... So, I am just offering another point of view that some may not have considered

Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #37

Default Hammer vs Striker

It is a matter of personal taste: I carry a walther pps (striker) or a Sig p239 (hammer): I always carry chambered: I prefer the pistol with the hammer; for the visual cue as to the state of the weapon: I lkie having the ability to draw the weapon, and cock the hammer: I also have the irrational belief that a striker with a chambered round is more likely to accidentilly go off inside my shorts than the sig: