Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Striker vs. hammer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1614 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1304

Default Striker vs. hammer?

Hi,

I haven’t found any pros & cons of striker vs. hammer in posts except in passing. Are there pros & cons?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

I don't have a hatred for a striker fired gun, but like a hammer fired gun for several reasons.
On a DA/SA second strike capability
Hammer gives a solid visual que to status of weapon
DA/SA needs a more deliberate trigger pull on the first shot if stress overrides the keep the finger off the trigger rule.

Really just personal preference.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Hammer pros:
Added safety
Easier trigger
Second strike capability

Hammer cons:
Requires cocking if it's single action

Striker pros:
Ultra reliable
Fewer parts
Durability
Easy to strip & reassemble

Striker cons:
No second strike capability
Trigger has no comparison to hammered guns
Harder to do a trigger job
My accuracy sucks with these

That's my $.02, I might be missing something but in a nutshell that's mostly it.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 06-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #4

What is second strike capability?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 06-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
What is second strike capability?
Ability to smack the primer again without cycling the slide. Dubious real value but i prefer having it there. Single action 1911 have it since you can thumb-cock them and try again on a failed round.

Life or death the best way is rack the slide for a fresh round

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8413 Times on 3646 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Pull trigger, gun does not go bang- a gun w. hammer, such as a S&W revolver, a Colt 1911A1, a marlin 336, you can thumb hammer back, try to fire again. That is a "2nd strike". A striker fired gun requires that the action be cycled, ejecting the round that did not fire.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

The double strike feature is preferred by military forces because in a firefight your basic instinct is to pull the trigger until something falls down. In certain conditions primers with lose their potency making them less sensitive.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i prefer a hammer-gun myself. i can imagine to many reasons where i couldn't work the slide in a crisis.

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #9

Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 37

To see the hammer itself to me seems safer.If I want to chamber a round and put the safety/decocker on,I feel better seeing that hammer down.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Pull trigger, gun does not go bang- a gun w. hammer, such as a S&W revolver, a Colt 1911A1, a marlin 336, you can thumb hammer back, try to fire again. That is a "2nd strike". A striker fired gun requires that the action be cycled, ejecting the round that did not fire.
Just curious: Why would you want to give a round a second chance? Seems more rational to me that there are a lot more bad rounds out there than bad guns (just by sheer numbers), but if a gun jams on you in a crisis, wouldn't you wanna get rid of it? Is it really that much faster to "2nd strike" than to rack the slide? Giving a round a second chance at a first impression seems a lot more dangerous than just getting rid of it and starting again with a new round.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005