Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Striker vs. hammer? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/striker-vs-hammer-44402/)

Vincine 06-27-2011 01:56 PM

Striker vs. hammer?

Hi,

I havenít found any pros & cons of striker vs. hammer in posts except in passing. Are there pros & cons?

FirstSergeant 06-27-2011 02:16 PM

I don't have a hatred for a striker fired gun, but like a hammer fired gun for several reasons.
On a DA/SA second strike capability
Hammer gives a solid visual que to status of weapon
DA/SA needs a more deliberate trigger pull on the first shot if stress overrides the keep the finger off the trigger rule.

Really just personal preference.

Scratchammo 06-27-2011 02:18 PM

Hammer pros:
Added safety
Easier trigger
Second strike capability

Hammer cons:
Requires cocking if it's single action

Striker pros:
Ultra reliable
Fewer parts
Durability
Easy to strip & reassemble

Striker cons:
No second strike capability
Trigger has no comparison to hammered guns
Harder to do a trigger job
My accuracy sucks with these

That's my $.02, I might be missing something but in a nutshell that's mostly it.

Thadeuce 06-27-2011 03:28 PM

What is second strike capability?

JonM 06-27-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thadeuce (Post 530088)
What is second strike capability?

Ability to smack the primer again without cycling the slide. Dubious real value but i prefer having it there. Single action 1911 have it since you can thumb-cock them and try again on a failed round.

Life or death the best way is rack the slide for a fresh round

c3shooter 06-27-2011 04:00 PM

Pull trigger, gun does not go bang- a gun w. hammer, such as a S&W revolver, a Colt 1911A1, a marlin 336, you can thumb hammer back, try to fire again. That is a "2nd strike". A striker fired gun requires that the action be cycled, ejecting the round that did not fire.

Scratchammo 06-27-2011 04:23 PM

The double strike feature is preferred by military forces because in a firefight your basic instinct is to pull the trigger until something falls down. In certain conditions primers with lose their potency making them less sensitive.

moonpie 06-27-2011 07:36 PM

i prefer a hammer-gun myself. i can imagine to many reasons where i couldn't work the slide in a crisis.

ninjatoth 06-27-2011 09:04 PM

To see the hammer itself to me seems safer.If I want to chamber a round and put the safety/decocker on,I feel better seeing that hammer down.

Thadeuce 06-27-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 530113)
Pull trigger, gun does not go bang- a gun w. hammer, such as a S&W revolver, a Colt 1911A1, a marlin 336, you can thumb hammer back, try to fire again. That is a "2nd strike". A striker fired gun requires that the action be cycled, ejecting the round that did not fire.

Just curious: Why would you want to give a round a second chance? Seems more rational to me that there are a lot more bad rounds out there than bad guns (just by sheer numbers), but if a gun jams on you in a crisis, wouldn't you wanna get rid of it? Is it really that much faster to "2nd strike" than to rack the slide? Giving a round a second chance at a first impression seems a lot more dangerous than just getting rid of it and starting again with a new round.