striker or hammer? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > striker or hammer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
Not any more of a piss poor job than you do with spelling.
Hey look guys, another one of those trolls i was was talking about. They always make a reference to spelling or grammer. Quick take a picture of the troll before it disappears under the bridge again.
Not to be confused with "A horse is a horse of course"

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #52

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
Not any more of a piss poor job than you do with spelling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
Hey look guys, another one of those trolls i was was talking about. They always make a reference to spelling or grammer. Quick take a picture of the troll before it disappears under the bridge again.
Not to be confused with "A horse is a horse of course"
You find that to be true too huh
This one is just boring anyway--
I hate being bored

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #53
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1289

First of all I like either in a good quality pistol.
My 1911s and Sig 220 have hammers while my Glolcks and my XD have strikers. So makes no difference to me. All shoot well and operate great.

As far as Ausitns question. A lot of semi auto pistols like the Sig 220 for example have a double/single action system.
Than means on the firs shot you must pull the trigger to fire the pistol. After the first round the slide cocks the hammer by the cycling of the slide and you pull the trigger even easier to drop the hammer and fire the next round. It will be in what is called single action every round following the first round until the magazine runs empty. Or the shooted deploys the Decocking Lever which drops the hammer without firning the pistol putting it back in the initial double action mode pn the next and first shot.
A Double Action pistol is like the Beretta 92-D and Sig DAK. Which means when you fire the pistol by pulling the trigger the hammer will go back and then fall forward firing the round. The hammer will not lock to the rear and go back forward after each round. It will not lock back like the Double Action/Single Action Pistol explained above. Otherwise on the Double Action Pistol you must pull the trigger each time all the way back everytime to fire the round.
And then there are the Glocks and others that have strikers!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 02-23-2013 at 06:08 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
You find that to be true too huh
This one is just boring anyway--
I hate being bored
Being bored is easily cured with with some old dishes, a shotgun and a jug of your favoroite corn creek whiskey. After you done getting unbored and with a a liter of the whiskey, com'on back and see how many trolls you can dig up, make a game out of it. during the first ten minutes see how many trolls come up out of theire holes and try to beat that record very ten minutes for a whole hour.

Then post all of them in a special thread "Trolls United"

-Me-

Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Hammer for me. I carry with a round in chamber and safety off (hk). Of course my Sig has no safety. I also like decockers. I practice double taps starting in DA.

image.jpg  

Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I practice double taps starting in DA.
You should get the Double tap ammo. Then you are hitting the target 4 times and killing it twice as fast.

-Me-

Old 02-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #57
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1289

Jag,

I agree if the person has a double/single action pistol they should always practice from the draw on the first round which would be double action. In a critical situation time is of the essence. Cocking the hammer for most people would require too much time and could be very unsafe when the adrenaline is flowing. Fine motor skills disappear when that happens. Cocking the hammer back is a fine motor skill. So as you stated, all practice should be from the initial double action shot. 1911 45 ACP pistols for defense is best carried in the cocked and locked position.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1677 Times on 1150 Posts
Likes Given: 589

I prefer DA/SA pistols. I grew up shooting revolvers so there wasn't a big learning curve. I also prefer the safety of the heavy and long DA trigger. At the range I can handle any gun without incident. However, with guns like the Glock and the Ruger SR series I don't feel safe in a self defense situation. I know I will clench if someone tries to disarm me. This clenching could easily result in a case of Glock leg if the attacker tries to grab the gun while it is still in the holster.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Jag,

I agree if the person has a double/single action pistol they should always practice from the draw on the first round which would be double action. In a critical situation time is of the essence. Cocking the hammer for most people would require too much time and could be very unsafe when the adrenaline is flowing. Fine motor skills disappear when that happens. Cocking the hammer back is a fine motor skill. So as you stated, all practice should be from the initial double action shot. 1911 45 ACP pistols for defense is best carried in the cocked and locked position.

is there another way not to carry with one in the chamber, cocked and locked with any gun? I mean what are you going to do, Carry Condition, Butterscotch?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=butterscotch+carry&view=detail&mid=0AC190 FDE9DCC07D10570AC190FDE9DCC07D1057&first=0&FORM=NV PFVR

-Me-

Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #60
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16
is there another way not to carry with one in the chamber, cocked and locked with any gun? I mean what are you going to do, Carry Condition, Butterscotch?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=butterscotch+carry&view=detail&mid=0AC190 FDE9DCC07D10570AC190FDE9DCC07D1057&first=0&FORM=NV PFVR
I was intrigued. I clicked and watched from beginning to end clearly the safest was to carry any semi auto pistol.

I'm in!!
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56