striker or hammer? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > striker or hammer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
ALL strikers are DAO. Your Sigma is included in the striker family.
What all have you done to your sigma? I had one that I recently sold that I put 30K rounds thru without a single malfunction. Have you done all the trigger jobs and the Apex Tactical spring kit?
A Glock is striker fired and not DAO. Upon the slide racking the striker is half cocked and the trigger does the rest. It'sa a difference in the Glock Safe action and other DAO striker fired pistols.

The Sigma..Is A DAO pistol. It's that longer travel of the trigger and an added spring (trigger return/reset) that adds a lot of the (12#) weight.

Now to the OP. All my handguns have hammers. because that's the way I like it If I had to have a striker fired pistol I'd probably lean to the XD or one of the Smiths. The Sigma is not too bad if you do a striker spring change and maybe a little polishing.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #42

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I prefer striker fired. My girlfriend is getting into handguns though and I prefer a hammer fired with an external safety for her.
If you don't trust her with every type, you should not trust her with any type, period. If she is not experienced to handle a striker, she is not experienced enough to handle any kind of gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I like a hammer. I simply like being able to see very clearly whether it is cocked or not.
Have you not paid attention over the years? ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded. that also means that ALL guns are ALWAYS cocked and ready to fire. You finger should not be on the trigger unless the weapon is pointed at something you want to kill.

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #43

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16
You are going to put unnesessary wear on the gun with the wolff recoil spring. I would leave the factory one in place. That $12 spring that you bought is not even nesessary for the gun to operate and it just adds wieght to the trigger, get rid of it. Put the apex tactical spring kit on it. S&W has made a deal with Apex for that kit and approve it for safety and wear issues. Polish the metal components in the sear assembly and ploish the trigger bar to a mirror finish also. doing all of what I mentioned will bring the trigger pull down to 3-4 lbs and make it smooth and crisp. Keep the pigtail spring for your daisy bb gun for when the pigtail spring on that one fails
I appreciate the help. How will the Wolfe spring damage the gun? My factory one broke after 1000rds. The spring I bought is a lighter weight trigger spring. I removed the factory one and put in the new one I bought. I'd guess it has about a 4-5# pull after that. How much is the apex spring kit? Might look in to that since s&w supports it. Could you post a couple pics of what all I should polish and what do I use to polish it with? Thanks again

Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #44

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
The Sigma..Is A DAO pistol. It's that longer travel of the trigger and an added spring (trigger return/reset) that adds a lot of the (12#) weight.
If the sigma is a doa then shouldn't it dry fire every time you pull the trigger on an empty chamber?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #45

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16
If you don't trust her with every type, you should not trust her with any type, period. If she is not experienced to handle a striker, she is not experienced enough to handle any kind of gun.
SMH

I guess because I prefer she goes through the actions to utilize a hammer fired handgun with an external safety that she's too retarded to handle a firearm.

Or it could be that she's just learning how a traditional hammer fired handgun functions and feels, and if she can operate that, she can operate pretty much any firearm in my house.

It's crawl, walk, run. Not run, trip, fall.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #46

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
If the sigma is a doa then shouldn't it dry fire every time you pull the trigger on an empty chamber?
No- it's DAO pistol without second strike capability, Only one i've ever had that did was a Kel-Tec P-11-
OK folks - that all i know

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #47

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
So you have a hammered striker fired pistol?
No. I was referring to the post in this thread about the action types. Not that I have to explain my self to you.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Old 02-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #48

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
No. I was referring to the post in this thread about the action types. Not that I have to explain my self to you.
Well excuse the fuk outta me-
You did a piss poor job of explaining hence the question---
Your excused now---------------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #49

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I appreciate the help. How will the Wolfe spring damage the gun? My factory one broke after 1000rds. The spring I bought is a lighter weight trigger spring. I removed the factory one and put in the new one I bought. I'd guess it has about a 4-5# pull after that. How much is the apex spring kit? Might look in to that since s&w supports it. Could you post a couple pics of what all I should polish and what do I use to polish it with? Thanks again
I sold mine I do not have any pics of the inner part of the gun. You do not want a lighter recoil spring. If your factory one broke you were probably using hi-power rounds as a f/t diet or a majority diet. You only want to use a lighter recoil spring if you are shooing compitition hand loads which are lighter and have less powder. If you are shooting regular loads or even +p loads you want to go with factory weight or heavier. this will cut your felt recoil. If you factory recoil spring broke in 100 rounds, you should of contacted S&W and they would have sent you a new one cause you got a defect, you still can. the gun has a lifetime warranty. If the want you to send it in the gun needs to be in the factory configuration or they will not honnor the warranty. Call first and see if they will just send the spring and guide rod, send them the broke one or take a picture and email it.

Some people will tell you to use a dremmel with all this fancy and expensive polish. They will say use the course black on first to get all the spurs off and for the edges and all that jazz. there is no need to spend $300 on tools and polishes to fix up a $300 gun. I will catch some heat for saying this and I have before on other sights, ask Ruger_NUT. But in the end I still put over 30K rounds thru my gun and never had a problem with it. I used Mr. Metal, metal polish that I got at BigLots for $0.99. I then took 600 grade wet/dry and paper, applied some "Mr. Metal" to the sand paper and went to town on the trigger bar and the sear assembley. Any part that has that "factorty paint" on it. It loos like a light greay metal color and you will probably think its metal till you start to polish it and its starts to come off. onece all that crap is off then just use a clean patch and polish everythin to a mirror finish. do the trigger bar, sear assembly, pins, springs everything. use a q-tip to get the hard to reach places all this stuff should cost you $5 and you'll have enoungh to do every Sigma in the state. It does take some time but its cheap. chances are if you have a $300 S&W, money is not exactly on your side to begin with, so don't worry about it. there is no need to use Gold Leaf when toilet paper will do.

Just get the metal polish that your dad used to polish up your mothers old pans in the 70's, it does not need to be anything special

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #50

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Well excuse the fuk outta me-
You did a piss poor job of explaining hence the question---
Your excused now---------------
Not any more of a piss poor job than you do with spelling.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري