striker or hammer? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > striker or hammer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Da, Sa, Dao, and Striker are all completely different from one another, all are fine functional guns, you have to decide which you are comfortable with for the intended use. I perosnally don't like strikers or dao because I hate the triggers, my pistols aren't only for sd but for sd as well as plinking and I cannot shoot a dao or striker as proficiently as a Sa. Though for a sd purpose where the intended target is going to be within 7 yds most any will be fine.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #12

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
Hope the OP doesn't mind me asking here, trying not to start a new thread and Learn the difference between da, sa, and dao semi autos. Any pointers?
DA: Double Action = When you squeeze trigger the hammer comes back until it eventually releases and weapon fires.

SA: Single Action= Hammer will stay down until "cocked" by shooter. When trigger is pulled the hammer falls and weapon fires, the action of the slide returns hammer to cocked position and can be fired immediately.

SAO : Double Action Only= just as it sounds the hammer does not cock after weapon is fired and returns to same position every time, and stays until trigger is pulled again.

To further confuse you (lol) some pistols are DA on first shot and SA for the rest of the firing sequence. They will usually have a "de cocker" on side of frame so the hammer can be dropped safely without firing the weapon.

Hope all that makes sense.

Last edited by FrontierTCB; 02-22-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2954 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

I don't have a preference of striker or hammer as long as it goes "BANG".

(But there are some I think should be put under the hammer)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5930 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 5477

Strikers usually give faster lock time and that enhances accuracy.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #15

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Hope the OP doesn't mind me asking here, trying not to start a new thread and Learn the difference between da, sa, and dao semi autos. Any pointers?
This is all about how the hammer of a gun is cocked.....(whether or not that cocking process is handled mechanically by the gun's trigger mechanism or manually by the shooter's hand):

SA = Single action - In a revolver, this means that the hammer can only be cocked manually by the shooter's hand/thumb. The trigger only servers to fire or release the hammer to fire. Pulling the trigger (with the hammer down) will not cock the hammer. In a semi-auto pistol, this is the same thing for the first round fired. However after the first round fired the action of the slide will push back and re-cock the hammer (but not the trigger - pulling the trigger with the hammer down will not cock the hammer).

DA = Double action - This means that the hammer can be cocked either manually by the shooter's hand OR by the action of pulling the trigger. So when the hammer is down, you can simply pull the trigger and the mechanical action from that will both cock the hammer and release it to fire.

DAO = Double action only - Many small, concealable & hammerless revolvers are of this action type. This means that you can only cock the hammer by the mechanical action of pulling the trigger & firing. The hammer cannot be cocked manually by the shooter's hand (most of these types of guns do not have an external or exposed hammer to cock).

Also think of it this way....
When you pull the trigger to fire the pistol - is the hammer already back (ie...are you pulling the trigger only to release and already cocked hammer)? If so, that is single action or using the trigger as single action.

If you pull the trigger to fire the pistol - is the hammer down and the pulling of the trigger mechanically moves the hammer back to 1st cock and then also release to fire? That is double action.

Hope that helps.....

Last edited by bartwatkins; 02-22-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #16

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I understand the difference with an exposed hammer. It's striker fired I was sorta lost on. Would my s&w sigma be dao?

Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #17

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I understand the difference with an exposed hammer. It's striker fired I was sorta lost on. Would my s&w sigma be dao?
Probably - yes (although I am not familiar with a Sigma)...
But if it is striker fired then it would have to be either DAO or SA. My guess is that it is DAO.
My FN FiveSeven is SA though.

On yours, before you rack the slide (ie...cock the striker), if you can pull the trigger and that action both cocks the striker and fires it - then yes, DAO.
(of course, and I know that you already know this, be very careful to test this with no ammunition loaded in the gun - or at the range).

Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Would my s&w sigma be dao
ALL strikers are DAO. Your Sigma is included in the striker family.
What all have you done to your sigma? I had one that I recently sold that I put 30K rounds thru without a single malfunction. Have you done all the trigger jobs and the Apex Tactical spring kit?

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Almost every military on the planet uses hammer fired weapons WITH safeties. The exception being Austria w Glock. Striker fired weapons are reliable but I don't know if they have second strike capability.

National Armory's move very slowly and are often frightened by anything new. However, as decisions become more budget driven, we may see this change.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #20

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Almost every military on the planet uses hammer fired weapons WITH safeties. The exception being Austria w Glock.
Um, we use Glock pistols now too in out military. Long past the days of my day of the Beretta or my fathers or grandfathers of the 1911. I think the 1911 is still used for officers in the Navy tho

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-