Striker fire vs hammer fire - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Striker fire vs hammer fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

Learning to shoot a clunky revolver well makes you a much better shooter when your shooting semi autos. Especially true if your learning on something like a ruger single action or colt saa.
This is akin to learning to drive a manual transmission (stick shift) when you first get your driving permit. I learned on a 2 1/2 ton truck with a rock crusher transmission when I was 15 1/2 years old. After that, I could drive ANYTHING! Others in my high school learned on a small car with an automatic transmission and actually got stranded when a rental car company didn't have any vehicles with auto trannys. If you learn to fire the old Colt SAA accurately, no pistol will control you because everything else feels like a milder variation. Strengthens the fingers, too!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Being old school, military and LEO, I was slow to pick up a striker fired pistol. I learned to shoot pistols with the 1911a1 in the Navy, eventually becoming the base RSO (Range Safety Officer). So with that experience and a lifetime of seeing cocked and un-cocked hammers on handguns in movies and TV, it seemed the natural way to go. Becoming a LEO I began my career with a S&W mod. 19 (.357) which I carried until the mid 80's when the department authorized auto-loaders for duty use. I then carried a S&W mod. 59 until upgrading to a 4006 in 1994.

My whole experience was with external hammers until retirement, when I tried to get on the Glock bandwagon. It didn't work so well for me, because of the position of the trigger, I wore blisters on my finger during extensive shooting. I finally found a striker gun I liked a few years ago, the Springfield XD sc, .40 cal. It is an actual delight to shoot, and has the best out of the box trigger I've ever owned. It is my primary carry gun in retirement, but I also have a stable of hammer guns that I carry from time-to-time, including revolvers. In fact I normally shoot better scores with my revolvers than with any semi-auto, but all are well within the center mass zone.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

JMHO, and i could be wrong. But for carry, i feel that a DA/SA pistol is safer. But i am a Sig man.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

For some people, the transition from DA to SA when shooting is hard to overcome.

For some people, DA is difficult to master.

For some people, the SA semi-automatic is natural.

Find what works for you.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Only striker pistols i like for carry are the xdm series with the grip safety. With a good holster a 1911 doesnt need the thumb safety.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #16

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Only striker pistols i like for carry are the xdm series with the grip safety. With a good holster a 1911 doesnt need the thumb safety.
And I'd argue the other way. A 1911 with a thumb safety doesn't need a grip safety. Browning actually designed the gun without it. The Army's Cavalry is who pushed for the grip safety in case the gun was dropped from a horse with the safety off.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #17

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
And I'd argue the other way. A 1911 with a thumb safety doesn't need a grip safety. Browning actually designed the gun without it. The Army's Cavalry is who pushed for the grip safety in case the gun was dropped from a horse with the safety off.

+1

Never enough guns or ammo

Old 03-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #18

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Striker fired, never owned one, never will.

Jim

Old 03-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2141 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 771

For me, it's really 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. Shoot what you like. I have both and like both for different reasons. But if you want a trigger that gives you goosebumps, I don't think you'll find one in a striker pistol.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 03-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

I have shot A LOT of all of them and the BEST striker fired pistol is my M&P, bar none. And this is not just my observation as I have had many others try it and ALL of them agree it is the best trigger they have ever used in a striker fired platform.
I have to disagree with the comment about the 'best' training is shooting is a single action revolver. To me the 'best' training is shooting a double action in double action all the time. This is how I trained for 14+ years with a M19 S&W and it gave me the best foundation for ALL handguns you can get. When you learn to control the trigger for the full double action pull and shoot well you can handle any trigger.
To answer the question. I prefer 'metal' guns with a 'hammer'. aka S&W 5903 or a 6906. There is nothing the 'plastic' striker fired pistol can do that my metal guns can't do as good if not better.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 03-26-2014 at 02:09 PM.