Stoeger Cougar 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Stoeger Cougar 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Stoeger Cougar 9mm

Ok, I have a question.

What is the quality of the Cougar 9mm pistols?

Almost every single firearms dealer has these in my town for around 399 dollars.

Some of the dealers say they are poor quality, but others say they work very adequately.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Ok, I have a question.
What is the quality of the Cougar 9mm pistols?
Almost every single firearms dealer has these in my town for around 399 dollars.
Some of the dealers say they are poor quality, but others say they work very adequately.

BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT!

The quality is top drawer..Beretta in Italy, where all the Cougars used to be made, and sold for over $500 were as good as anything Beretta made.

When the stopped making them due to labor costs driving the price higher and higher, they shipped all the manufacturing equipment, drawings & specs to Turkey and created a Stoeger facility there..LOWER LABOR COSTS! The cosmetic finish is almost as good, fit and function is the same and the price is almost half. Plus, Beretta currently has Cougar 9mm mags on sale for $19.99 & CDNN has Beretta Cougar 40 mags for $24,99.

I bought one last week and after shooting it today, went and bought it's brother. Both are 9mm and I've already gotten extra mags from Beretta and a set of wood grips on the way. Guess I will need to order another set. ALL METAL PARTS, and compared to my Beretta Cougar, the difference in the finish is Beretta A+ and Stoeger A-...The ONLY difference I have found is the front sight on the Stoeger sit a little higher on the top of slide than the Beretta does..Enough space under front edge and rear edge of sight on either side of dovetail (looking front to rear) is match book cover thickness. Just looks different, both Beretta & Stoeger shoot the same.

As time and money allows, I intend to fill my house and cars with them...That will make mags, holsters and ammo all common to one gun...But, act soon, the price is already going up on this jewell of a gun...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It's one of the best kept secrets from Beretta.... they just move all the machinery and tools to make Cougars from Italy to their Turkish plant, "Stöeger", in here they don't spend one day in the shelves, it's the best bang for the buck for a brand new Cougar....
The Cougar it's a very good firearm specially the 9mm...
Stöeger make shotguns with the same machinery and QC that Beretta have in Italy.... their Benelli Novas are indentical, and the M3 Super 90 too... without the price tag...

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #4

I really like mine- its a great gun for the money, It is one of those ultra-reliable guns that is within easy reach.

The future isn't what it used to be.
----Yogi Berra

Old 03-13-2009, 04:27 AM   #5

I used to have Beretta cougar and it was the nicest pistol I have ever owned. I had to sell it. I tried to find another with no luck.

As for Stoeger,...I have one of there shotguns. A Beretta 390 or AL 391, errr...I mean a...Stoeger 2000. I cant say anything bad about it. I did have to use it for a boat paddle once, and it shot after words.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can you guys discuss the rotating barrel system?

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Can you guys discuss the rotating barrel system?

I'm putting a link below that will help a little...Also, the Cougar was designed to be a 40 and as such, a 9mm in a Cougar should last forever...

Beretta 8000 Cougar in GunsWorld

Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #8

I wanted one but when I got back to the dealer someone beat me too the gun.I was super pissed because I told the guy I was going to an ATM and it only took me 20 minutes.I will never buy from his shop ever again.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Got one in lay-a-way at my local gun shop. CDNN has 15rd mags $17.99 and you get free 2-mag pouch. Already got mags and holster just waiting to pick up gun.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #10

A gun for less than $400 that has been totally reliable.
Poor quality? Not from my experience. It's a keeper!