stoeger cougar 8000 help!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > stoeger cougar 8000 help!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

Get some trigger work done, and have some good sights installed if you feel the need to start work.

But before you have any work done shoot the snot out of it.

............and get an IDPA rulebook(if that is what you want to shoot) and make sure any mods you do will still be competition legal in your division.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #12

Chad, I think you will like the Cougar alot. Take it to the range and put some lead down range. Fire it and see what works and what doesn't. I just bought a Coug and couldn't be happier. Best bargain in the market IMHO.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #13

Default from david olhasso !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is my email to david olhasso a competition shooter champion who used to shot for beretta.

(ME)
i am looking to get into idpa comps. i shoot every other week and i am getting a stoeger cougar i like the trigger and it seems to be a really good gun. i have heard that you shoot idpa with a stoeger cougar or did, what did you have done to you cougar or what should i do to it before getting into idpa? also how did the aluminum frame hold up to wear and tear?

also why did you like this gun? i have my reasons but what was yours please contact me at chad.stenger@navy.mil

this is his answer.

(DAVID OLHASSO)
When I shot for beretta, I thought the cougar was the best gun in their lineup. Unfortunately, beretta never supported the gun properly and they never made a 5" version of the gun. The rotating barrel is much more accurate than the 92/90-two variants and is a very good platform. Again, unfortunately, with such a short barrel, it is not at all ideal for competition at the highest level. When competing, I use a 5" barreled gun which give me the best possible accuracy potential due to the longer sight radius. Yes the cougar is more accurate, but with such a short sight picture, it is harder for the shooter to be accurate enough under stress.

As for the aluminum frame: it is made from the same aluminium that is an integral part of the M9 and M9A1 that have been used by the armed forces since 86. There are some shortcoming to the 92, but the frame is definitely not one.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Excellent. Looks like you will be very happy with your Cougar.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm lost.

When I read "David"s response, it would appear that he was saying the Cougar was a good weapon, but lacked the desired 5" sight radius which he prefers.

Best of luck with whatever you choose chad2. I hope whatever you get is the perfect gun for you and you shoot the daylights out of it.

JD

PS - Huh. A 5" long barrel wth a frame that features a long sight radius. Where have I heard that kind of talk before??

Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3115 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

I would like to know how Chad2 places in competition with the setup he has.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)