stoeger cougar 8000 help!!!!!!!!!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > stoeger cougar 8000 help!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default stoeger cougar 8000 help!!!!!!!!!!!

ok i am getting a stoeger cougar dispite what a few people have said. i got it to get into idpa competition shooting. so now i need to know some things is there a company that makes or will customize parts for this gun? what i mean by customize is can i send my origanl barrel/parts and they be able to make me a match grade barrel/parts. is there a company that does this? also is there anything that i can do to this gun to clean it up and smooth it out? i am very mechanically inclined i have lots of tools, including knife making tools, i make knives in my off time. i know that there is the beretta d spring that brings the trigger pull down in weight. i think the trigger is amazing but i would like to get ride of some of the take up on the trigger. is ther a company that makes something that will do this or can i have someone make me a custom trigger. also i know that the cougar and the 92 frames look alot alike besides the grip, are there parts interchangable, like are there triggers made the same way? can a custom trigger for a 92 be fitted into a cougar 8000? thank you for taking your time to read this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Chad, Don't change anything until you have enough experience to identify what needs to be changed.

You have a warranty that is null and void should any mods be made. Run the gun through a few competitions first.

Save the money and buy ammo to practice with. I've seen too many people start mods and are wishing that they had not done it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 10-04-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: speling

Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Chad, Don't change anything until you have enough experience to identify what needs to be changed.

You have a warranty that is null and void should any mods be made. Run the gun through a few competitions first.

Save the money and buy ammo to practice with. I've seen too many people start mods and are wishing that they had not done it.
i know that this might be expensive but is there a company the would be able to make me a steel frame for this gun. maybe i could send them the original frame and they could make a mold of it, and they could make me a steel injected frame.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

that is a good idea i am going to do that dan

Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #5

Default Follow up

chad2; Sir, keep a ''running'' account with your shooting follow up as you can; with all the details yeeee- hiiiii type thoughts

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Anything is possible for the right amount. Practice the heck out of that gun, wear it out, then look for the next one. The experience gained will be well worth it.

If a pro competitor keeps a gun for 6 months, he / she is lucky.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

IDPA is not bullseye shooting and is setup around folks using their carry guns - pinpoint accuracy is not as important as putting decent hits on man-sized targets in quick time. You need to quit worrying about making the Cougar into something it isn't and just enjoy shooting the thing. I highly suggest you actually read & heed the advice we're trying to give you as some of us have been around the block a few times.

Just so you know, having a custom steel frame made up for your $400 gun would probably cost you 10-20 times what the gun costs - if you could find a shop that would even take on the job.

Relax, read, and learn...

Old 10-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Customizing a Stoeger?

Isn't that kind of like making a limousine out of a Ford F-150?

An F-150 is a fine vehicle for what it's made for, but it's not made for a limousine.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Customizing a Stoeger?

Isn't that kind of like making a limousine out of a Ford F-150?

An F-150 is a fine vehicle for what it's made for, but it's not made for a limousine.
Just when you think you got it nailed, someone will out-do even the dumbest of ideas!
1f150limo.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Chd, I applaud your enthusiasm! And I've heard good things about the Stoeger Cougar.

Start off by shooting it enough to "become one" with it. The pistol was designed to operate a certain way, and until you have a ton of trigger time behind it, you may not fully understand what you want to do to it.

As for the barrel, it is going to give you combat accuracy as is. To change up to something like a Bar-Sto will cost you $300-$450 when you factor in the fitting costs. And it will not be as reliable as the stock barrel, due to tighter match grade tolerances.

Get some trigger work done, and have some good sights installed if you feel the need to start work.

But before you have any work done shoot the snot out of it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."