Still not clicking... DA and Double Strike.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Still not clicking... DA and Double Strike.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Still not clicking... DA and Double Strike.

I have been reading around about guns that have a double strike capability. But i still have not found anything that tells the exact difference between a gun that is Double action vs. having a double strike capability (at least on a level that i could understand). Can someone enlighten me as to how a gun is double action but is not a double striker? Anyone have any diagrams that show the build difference?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2010, 04:28 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Some guns use a traditional double action trigger mechanism, Sigs, Beretta M9, S&W 39/59/69 series, etc.

Other pistols use a DA trigger system that requires the slide to cycle before the trigger will reset, Glocks, XD's, etc. These are commonly called "safe action", but are double action triggers by definition. DA being "pulling the trigger both cocks and fires" the gun.

So when you end up with a bad round in the chamber, with a Sig or Beretta and the like you can stand there clicking the DA trigger over and over again hoping it may eventually go off. But bad ammo can be fickle and this creates bad habits and takes valuable time.

With one of the "safe action" type pistols, when you find that bad round in the chamber you perform a failure drill (smack, rack, re-engage), get rid of the bad round and keep shooting.

"Second strike" capability is the answer to a question that was best never asked.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
So when you end up with a bad round in the chamber, with a Sig or Beretta and the like you can stand there clicking the DA trigger over and over again hoping it may eventually go off. But bad ammo can be fickle and this creates bad habits and takes valuable time.
Got it. So i guess i did understand it more than i thought. Been researching my wife's gun (S&W Bodyguard .380) and someone mentioned it was a double striker). I had always been under the school of thought that if a round fails, get it out. Seems to me, the constant "clicking" or telling the bad guy "hey i am trying to kill you" is NOT that great of a feature - or plan! Guess we will keep practicing the normal fail techniques.

Anyone think it is a good idea to keep trying to set off a failed round? I read several arguments saying this was a good feature. Even said that 80% of the time a failed round would fire on the second strike (which i definitely want a better rate of fire, but that was a lot higher than i would have thought - could almost warrant two clicks then clear).

Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

At the range, the ability to double strike is ok. There are some brands of primers that are referred to as hard primers, that can sometimes take a second strike to activate.

In self defense, Tap, rack.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

I have a H&K PSP P7. It has the Double Strike capability, but is a Single action (trigger releases the firing pin only). The grip is a squeeze cocker, and to reset the firing pin for a double strike, I have to work the squeeze cocker.

Would I work the double strike in self defense? No. As "willfully armed" said "Tap, Rack".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
Anyone think it is a good idea to keep trying to set off a failed round?
on the range, yes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

The ParaOrdnance LDA family requires the slide to be racked to reset the hammer. Simply pulling trigger second time does nada. Slap, rack and roll, continue to march.

OR- use a double action revolver. Pulling trigger second time lines up fresh cartridge- which MAY be a better option, and account for the popularity of these weapons for more than 100 years.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Taurus likes to really hype the double strike capability of their poly guns - a nice feature to have given their propensity for light strikes...

Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

IMO, if my firearm has light primer strikes, then something is wrong...

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #10

I have tried dozens of times to "re-strike" a round that misfired, with various M9's. If it failed the first time it nearly always failed no matter how many times you tried. Most of the time, the round could be ejected and reloaded into the chamber in a different position and it would fire.

As far as self defense goes, if your expecting a bang and get a click, immediate action drill, no matter if you have a double action or not. I wouldn't buy a striker fired gun that had some magical second strike capability based on that feature alone.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-