Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Still not clicking... DA and Double Strike. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/still-not-clicking-da-double-strike-34636/)

theferg2000 11-22-2010 03:41 AM

Still not clicking... DA and Double Strike.

I have been reading around about guns that have a double strike capability. But i still have not found anything that tells the exact difference between a gun that is Double action vs. having a double strike capability (at least on a level that i could understand). Can someone enlighten me as to how a gun is double action but is not a double striker? Anyone have any diagrams that show the build difference?

M14sRock 11-22-2010 04:28 AM

Some guns use a traditional double action trigger mechanism, Sigs, Beretta M9, S&W 39/59/69 series, etc.

Other pistols use a DA trigger system that requires the slide to cycle before the trigger will reset, Glocks, XD's, etc. These are commonly called "safe action", but are double action triggers by definition. DA being "pulling the trigger both cocks and fires" the gun.

So when you end up with a bad round in the chamber, with a Sig or Beretta and the like you can stand there clicking the DA trigger over and over again hoping it may eventually go off. But bad ammo can be fickle and this creates bad habits and takes valuable time.

With one of the "safe action" type pistols, when you find that bad round in the chamber you perform a failure drill (smack, rack, re-engage), get rid of the bad round and keep shooting.

"Second strike" capability is the answer to a question that was best never asked.

theferg2000 11-22-2010 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 390123)
So when you end up with a bad round in the chamber, with a Sig or Beretta and the like you can stand there clicking the DA trigger over and over again hoping it may eventually go off. But bad ammo can be fickle and this creates bad habits and takes valuable time.

Got it. So i guess i did understand it more than i thought. Been researching my wife's gun (S&W Bodyguard .380) and someone mentioned it was a double striker). I had always been under the school of thought that if a round fails, get it out. Seems to me, the constant "clicking" or telling the bad guy "hey i am trying to kill you" is NOT that great of a feature - or plan! ;) Guess we will keep practicing the normal fail techniques.

Anyone think it is a good idea to keep trying to set off a failed round? I read several arguments saying this was a good feature. Even said that 80% of the time a failed round would fire on the second strike (which i definitely want a better rate of fire, but that was a lot higher than i would have thought - could almost warrant two clicks then clear).

willfully armed 11-22-2010 07:15 AM

At the range, the ability to double strike is ok. There are some brands of primers that are referred to as hard primers, that can sometimes take a second strike to activate.

In self defense, Tap, rack.

danf_fl 11-22-2010 09:09 AM

I have a H&K PSP P7. It has the Double Strike capability, but is a Single action (trigger releases the firing pin only). The grip is a squeeze cocker, and to reset the firing pin for a double strike, I have to work the squeeze cocker.

Would I work the double strike in self defense? No. As "willfully armed" said "Tap, Rack".

JonM 11-22-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theferg2000 (Post 390144)
Anyone think it is a good idea to keep trying to set off a failed round?

on the range, yes.

c3shooter 11-22-2010 12:22 PM

The ParaOrdnance LDA family requires the slide to be racked to reset the hammer. Simply pulling trigger second time does nada. Slap, rack and roll, continue to march.

OR- use a double action revolver. Pulling trigger second time lines up fresh cartridge- which MAY be a better option, and account for the popularity of these weapons for more than 100 years.

NGIB 11-22-2010 12:43 PM

Taurus likes to really hype the double strike capability of their poly guns - a nice feature to have given their propensity for light strikes...

danf_fl 11-22-2010 09:17 PM

IMO, if my firearm has light primer strikes, then something is wrong...

jeepcreep927 11-22-2010 09:49 PM

I have tried dozens of times to "re-strike" a round that misfired, with various M9's. If it failed the first time it nearly always failed no matter how many times you tried. Most of the time, the round could be ejected and reloaded into the chamber in a different position and it would fire.

As far as self defense goes, if your expecting a bang and get a click, immediate action drill, no matter if you have a double action or not. I wouldn't buy a striker fired gun that had some magical second strike capability based on that feature alone.