Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   STI Reliability (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/sti-reliability-60525/)

jmac2387 03-19-2012 12:44 AM

STI Reliability

Does anyone else have an STI that won't run?

At a match today this pistol would not run 25 rounds without choking. I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with this make that won't go away. FYI it has been back to the factory twice and to two other gunsmiths for reliabiity checks and after today a fifth person took it with them to see what they can do.

I know lots of folks think the word of this maker. I get it. My experience however has been less than satisfactory.

NotMormon 03-19-2012 12:50 AM

At this point, I'm sure there's no chance in hell that it's your mags? I can't imagine two trips to STI and the thing still has issues.

jmac2387 03-19-2012 12:58 AM

mags tuned

I thought of that-- and gunsmiths two and three both "tuned" all of them to this particular pistol.

Oh and I have tried lots of different ammo, reloads, factory etc has not made a difference at all.

What is the real bummer is the original cost and then four other bills for "fixing it" and now today out of 5 stages it only ran one stage without a hiccup -a total of about 30 rounds.

NotMormon 03-19-2012 02:26 AM

So what exactly is it doing? Or not doing? If it has been to STI and other smiths with no results, it's junk man! You can send the gun along with a $300 recycling fee and I will personally make sure it gets a proper eulogy. This way it will never drain your pocket book ever again.

gollygee 03-19-2012 02:32 AM

If the factory & 2 other gunsmiths can't figure it out, I certainly know I will not have a clue, but I am curious about exactly what it is doing, also.

jmac2387 03-19-2012 07:55 PM

Sti

My pistol fails to feed, but on occasion it fails to extract also causing a double feed.

On occasion it is so slow going into battery that i am on to the next target before I realize it has not gone off.

I certainly appreciate the offer to dispose of it properly, but if nothing else, it will be quite a conversation piece as a paper weight.

No one else has issues with their STI?

jmac2387 03-25-2012 09:21 PM

I am the only one

I got this STI back from the gunsmith (5th one to look at it) at todays match. I had one problem on stage 1 and 2 failures to feed on Stage 2 and by stage 3 If was failing to feed so often that I gave up and took it to the car. It was terrible.

No one else has one that wont' run? I must be the most unlucky guy in the world of STI owners. I bought this to make it an open gun, but if it won't run even one match without problem guess I will have to come up with the disposal fee.

NotMormon 03-26-2012 04:07 AM

Yip! It's junk! I'll PM you my address and I will not complain about sending cash in the mail. I'm not even close to a smith so I could only stab at what it might be. Are you paying attention not to limp it? Have you installed a buffer? Have you tried a lighter spring? Maybe your link pin is out of spec and the Johnson Rod is too short.....hell, I don't know. Just send me the lemon and the cash and I'll make sure it never bothers you again. :)

jmac2387 03-26-2012 07:32 PM

Will do

As soon as I get a new chop saw blade, I will put it in the mail (s)

NotMormon 03-26-2012 07:48 PM

Now let's not do anything crazy! My chop saw already has a new blade on it.