Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Steel Guide Rod Worth It - CZ P-01/CZ 75 Compact?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Steel Guide Rod Worth It - CZ P-01/CZ 75 Compact?

I have a CZ P-01 and I'm curious if a steel guide rod (like this one)would make any noticeable difference in how she handles...quicker follow up shots, less felt recoil, etc. Lots of folks seem to swap out for metal over plastic, but is it just voodoo or is there something to it? I don't believe durability of the plastic rod is an issue so the only reason I'd swap it out would be for improved handling.

I have few complaints with this weapon. Perhaps some VZ grips and a new set of sights are in order, but other than that I love my CZ...actually, my favorite handgun of any I've handled by far. The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to leave well enough alone, but if anyone has any real world experience I'd appreciate it if you'd share your opinion. I suppose for $25 plus springs and shipping it would be an inexpensive experiment, but I'd rather save the hassle if it's not worth my time.

What say you?

-- boomenshutzen

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I don’t want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Guide rod, plastic or steel, has no discernable effect on recoil or accuracy. I have a cz-75 compact with a plastic rod and am of the opinion don't fix it if it isn't broken. If you are uncomfortable with it then by all means swap it out but don't expect any improvements in your shooting. My opinion is if you want to improve something get some better grips or sights. The guide rods only purpose it to keep the spring from bowing during recoil and impeding the slide.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #3

Well, you've reinforced what I already suspected. I am not uncomfortable with it in the least bit and shoot it quite well...for me at least. I just get the urge to tinker sometimes and need somebody to talk me out of it!

-- boomenshutzen

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I don’t want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob