Started as bad day, but ended a little better.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Started as bad day, but ended a little better.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Started as bad day, but ended a little better.

First off.

I was getting my pistols prepped this morning for another visit to the range. Pulled my Kimber out of the case, and behold, there was rust again. Epic fail....

I got everything that came with the Kimber, went to my dealer, and got my money back (minus the small amount I spent on the extra magazines). The Kimber is gone, and I don't miss it. I will never buy another Kimber in my life. In fact, I will never spend over 500 dollars on any pistol any more. I seem to have better luck with the less expensive choices anyway. Rusting pistols equal bad quality no matter what excuses people can come up with to try and explain it. I don't care that LAPD uses it, or the HRT uses it. They can keep their rusty pistols for all I care. I'm not interested anymore.

I will save my money, and MAYBE sometime in the future I will get a M1911A1 from Colt (a TRUE M1911A1, no frills, no beavertails, no full length guide rods, no MIM parts, or any gimmicks of any kind!!!).

The one thing that saved my day was while I was headed out the door with my money, I looked at the consignment case and I found this little deal for about 280 dollars total (including everything you see in the pictures). The only problem was it was missing one small nut that causes the hammer retention pin to slowly slide out after firing many rounds. I ordered that part online for 4 dollars, and it'll be at my doorstep in about 5-7 days. I won't have to worry about "babying" this thing, or having to check it every 5 seconds for rust.

I ran about 67 rounds through it at the range to test it out. It functioned flawless, and is pretty much as accurate for me as the Kimber was.

The 7.62x25mm is only about a 90 grain bullet, but that 90 grain bullet is zipping along at near 1600 fps! Plus, the pistol shoots very flat and accurate at 50 yards. This pistol may turn out to be a very welcome companion for me once I clean it out real good, and get my part that I'm waiting for.

280 dollars for a good pistol, 2 eight round magazines, a holster, a cleaning rod, and just about 1000 rounds of 7.62x25mm FMJ non-corrosive ammo. Not a bad deal, and it saved my day from being a total loss.

P.S. I'm gonna have to back up Canebrake when he says the only way to go 1911 is Colt. He's right! Sorry, JD, but because of the rust issues I'm gonna have to say that along with the Glock, Kimber has the ghey......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

C'est La Vie!

I don't know what to tell you Sgt. Maybe they changed their source for their steel. Maybe their overall customer quality went downhill. Maybe you don't know how to take care of a weapon. Wakka Wakka!

I bought my last Kimber in 2003 and kept it until 2005 when I sold that last one off to help finance the purchase of my T3. I still have the other two 1911's that I bought from them and the very first one I bought was the conversion to the .460 Rowland project.

I never had the problems that you and Spitty have seen. Then again, I have an Ultrasonic Tank that all my handguns and small parts go into. That lubricant that I use is very thick and it states on the label that it will seep - so maybe that is a difference.

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. I truly am.

Buy a Colt and see what you think. *shrug*

JD

Old 09-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Not sure what's up with Kimber. I just know that they will never have me as a customer again. It's pretty sad when I get less frustration (actually zero frustration) out of my cheapo 100 dollar specials. I talked to some salesman at the dealer, and they have had four returns for rust repair THIS WEEK!!!!!! WTF over?!?!?!?

I actually don't expect much out of a firearm. I'm pretty easy going, but I do expect them to work well and not rust up in two seconds...lol.

I've decided that for now I'm going to stick with mil surplus weapons, and 500 dollar or less weapons. That is just because of family expenses, and the less expensive weapons seem to work better and last longer for me. I have yet to have any issues with any military surplus weapons (because they were built tough).

I still want a 1911, but it's going to be a true 1911. No more messing around with custom jobs.

Sequels are rarely as good as the original, and in the case of the 1911, it seems that is true, at least in my case.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

All I can say is, the Nighthawks that I have, are in a COMPLETLY different world than anything else.

And George at Michigan Gunslingers gets them below cost and has a ZERO percent interest, one year pay off, layaway plan....

Good luck in your future purchases...

JD

Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #5

I was thinking pretty strongly about getting a Kimber when I turn 21, but this makes me start to wonder. I was however looking at a Stainless model though. Other than the rust, did you have any issues with it?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #6

I was just doing some reading online, and it seems people have the having problems with the barrels rusting on the stainless models too. This may make me have to go with a Colt Combat Commander instead. I was just looking on gunbroker and found some for under $900.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hey Sarge, who's the manufacturer?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 1911 Kimber and it shows no signs of rust at all. I think Kimber changed something and it was not for the better if all those people are having problems. I have shot mine in an all out downpour one day and it did not rust or anything after. Most of the time, the Kimber is in my car, or on my hip. I think Kimber is producing a lot of lemons currently if many are having rust issues.

I agree with Dillinger, if Kimber is not working out with you, then try colt.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Hey Sarge, who's the manufacturer?
Is that a CZ52?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've always taken it for granted that blued steel will rust regardless of who made it and acted (preserved) accordingly. I've seen ALL blued guns rust at 1 time or another. After all, bluing is simply controlled oxidation process similar to rusting. If the gun is oiled & preserved properly it won't rust period-no matter who made it. I always wipe my guns down after handling/hunting with/shooting them and don't have a problem with them rusting.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!