Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   SR9C problem (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/sr9c-problem-56436/)

ScottA 01-27-2012 07:17 PM

SR9C problem
 
I took my brand new Ruger SR9C to the range this morning for it's first test. I probably put around 250 rounds through it. It shoots beautifully. Nice tight groups. Points very well. I did about 50 rounds of triple tap exercises and only had two fliers off the silhouette... although one did give the guy a new part in his hair.

I am very pleased with the weapon... except for one thing.

Has anyone seen a problem like this?

The long magazine gave me no problems. The short magazine on the other hand would have a light primer strike on the last round in the magazine 5 out of 7 times. A couple of the guys at the range took a look at it and pointed out that the lip on the short magazine appears to have a rough spot that might be causing the slide to drag. The spot is almost imperceptible, but that's the only thing we could see that might be causing a problem.

I contacted Ruger. They said send them the magazine and they'll send me a new one. I guess I'll just let them figure it out.

Firearms4ever 01-27-2012 08:26 PM

It sounds like a magazine issue since it's only happening on that magazine. Another possibility is the magazine might not be disengaging the magazine disconect all the way, which could cause those light primer strikes, but that's just a guess.

FCross7 01-28-2012 12:56 AM

The slide cycling slow has nothing to do with light primer strikes.

What ammo were you shooting? I get quite a few light primer strikes with Tula when shooting it in my M&P9.

-Fred

ScottA 01-28-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 691482)
The slide cycling slow has nothing to do with light primer strikes.

What ammo were you shooting? I get quite a few light primer strikes with Tula when shooting it in my M&P9.

-Fred

Several different ammos: Winchester, federal, Herters. Ammo was varied. It was definitely the mag. I don't know how, but that was the common element.

FCross7 01-28-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA

Several different ammos: Winchester, federal, Herters. Ammo was varied. It was definitely the mag. I don't know how, but that was the common element.

The magazine has no effect on the striker.

I honestly don't know what could be causing it. I would try doing a total detail strip of the slide, and make sure to clean the striker and striker channel very well. When you re-lube the pistol, ensure no oil gets on the striker or in the channel.

That would be my first step. Dirty channels can slow down the striker causing light primer strikes.

-Fred

ScottA 01-28-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 692156)
The magazine has no effect on the striker.

I honestly don't know what could be causing it. I would try doing a total detail strip of the slide, and make sure to clean the striker and striker channel very well. When you re-lube the pistol, ensure no oil gets on the striker or in the channel.

That would be my first step. Dirty channels can slow down the striker causing light primer strikes.

-Fred

Had planned on doing that this morning, but didn't get around to it.

ScottA 03-06-2012 03:30 AM

Got the replacement magazine from Ruger over the weekend and took the pistol back to the range. Put another 100 rounds or so downrange. The short magazine worked flawlessly. So yes, a magazine can cause a light primer strike problem... weird.

Kudos to Ruger. Thanks for the replacement.

CHLChris 03-06-2012 03:56 AM

I'm betting they didn't spend a moment trying to figure it out, either. They probably just sent the replacement without thinking about it. We'll never know what it was.

Good thing they replaced it for you! Kudos to Ruger!


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.