Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SR9 value

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Drum gave some solid advice for a lefty. I carry a S&W M&P45 and before that a FNP40. Not in the price range your looking at all the same if you didn't like the Sigma these are good choices for the next step up. haven't owned an SR9 but have heard good things about the pistol.
This will be my 30th 9mm and I still own several including a Glock 19, beretta95f, three p38s ww2 Nazi era, two P08s, a Taurus 709, S&W5906 and 6906 and I may have missed one.

I wanted the Sigma for a cheap carry car gun and it was a good gun. I just did not love the long trigger pull. I took out the pig tail spring and replaced the sear spring with a lighter spring and polished the sear. Made it about 80% better but I had a chance to sell the sigma and get almost all my money back. I paid 325 got 50 in a rebate and Smith sent me an extra mag because I complained about the trigger. So all in I had about 250 and I got back about 275. If you throw in the tax I paid 25 to shoot it and own it for 3 months and put 500 rounds through it. For people that need a gun on a budget its a great choice and I am totally against all the hype denouncing it. But I like the left handed mag release and the slim design of the Ruger. I played with the gun at a local pawn shop and the trigger was not bad on the Ruger.

Short and much more crisp than the Sigma with its long pull. Put in the left hand friendly features and I decided with a bit of reluctance as the Sigma fits my hand like a custom made glove to sell it. I will have to throw in an extra 140 for the Ruger but in the end the Ruger will hold its resale value. Smith right now with its price reduction and the 50 rebate is making it hard to sell a Sigma used. This was another reason I sold. They are harder to sell on the used market as every pawn shop and internet gun auction has several. I played with the XD9 and found it for me not to be worth the extra 100 and I did not like its bulk. The grip was OK and better than my say hello to my 2x4 Glock. Don’t get me wrong I love the Glock But its a 600 dollar gun and I do not want to carry it in my cars glove box. I like or should I say love my Smiths, they are the gold standard along with the Beretta of quality. But they are a bit bulky and heavy for ccw or car carry. My Taurus is a nice CCW gun but for a car only had 7 rounds.

The Ruger with 17 gives a level of security that I am not going to have to usse it as a toss across when the 7 song stops in 7 rounds. Any way this is the reason I wanted the Ruger that and I am OCD on guns.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default You made a good choice

For what its worth, I have shot both. SR9c and sigma 40. Both seem to be very reliable, the sigma is my buddys and the sr9c is mine. I shot both factory new and neither jamed or malfunctioned in any way. But the trigger on the ruger is great, the trigger on the sigma SUCKS. I can make nice groups at 15yds with my ruger p95, and sr9c. When my buddys gun starts shootin the sigma, there isnt anyone who we have shot with who can hit the side of a barn with it. The trigger is so stiff and breaks so hard that it throws all my shots off. My dad, whos a great shot, cant do much with it either. Maybe you can fix that with a trigger job, but you wont have to with your ruger. Even my p95 shoots better, feels like your shooting a brick, but an accurate brick with nice trigger.

Last edited by Pjj342; 03-16-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #13

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
For what its worth, I have shot both. SR9c and sigma 40. Both seem to be very reliable, the sigma is my buddys and the sr9c is mine. I shot both factory new and neither jamed or malfunctioned in any way. But the trigger on the ruger is great, the trigger on the sigma SUCKS. I can make nice groups at 15yds with my ruger p95, and sr9c. When my buddys gun starts shootin the sigma, there isnt anyone who we have shot with who can hit the side of a barn with it. The trigger is so stiff and breaks so hard that it throws all my shots off. My dad, whos a great shot, cant do much with it either. Maybe you can fix that with a trigger job, but you wont have to with your ruger. Even my p95 shoots better, feels like your shooting a brick, but an accurate brick with nice trigger.
I found the sigma to be accurate. I had to work to learn how to shoot it with the trigger so stiff but I could hit the center ring at 50 feet no problem. I took out the two springs and the gun shot even better. I sold it and bought a SR9 because it was thinner and more left friendly. I love the trigger on the SR9 and have only had one problem, the pin worked out on the insert block and I had to use a bit of lock tite to secure it in. It seems to work fine now. I still miss the Sigma a bit. It felt very good in hand like no other gun I have had. I have a Glock and its like shaking hands with a 2x4.

Newest Threads