Springfield XD, Glock 19, or CZ P-01
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Springfield XD, Glock 19, or CZ P-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Springfield XD, Glock 19, or CZ P-01

Looks like this topic has been covered variously through the boards, but none were really for 9mm or specific to my comparisons.

I am purchasing a handgun by next week and was originally looking at S&W Sigmas, but I read too many bad things about them so I upped my budget and am now looking between the Springfield XD 9mm and the Glock 19. My dad bought a Glock 19 yesterday, so I plan to go shoot it this week, but I don't have access to an XD to compare it to. I am going to go see one today though. I've shot a Glock 26, but that is too small, I didn't like it. My dad also has 2 CZ P-01s and would be willing to give me a good deal on one of them, so I am considering it b/c its supposed to be a reputable gun and marginally more expensive, which I can get a deal on.

I want a 9mm for the cheaper ammo so I can actually afford to shoot, so please don't try to sell me on anything bigger, I don't want it. Everyone keeps telling me I need a 40 or 45, I don't buy it.

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What do you mean you're only going to consider the #9 Mickey Mouse

Just kidding, if you have read many of my posts you will know that I am an advocate for the 9mm. I do believe the .45 ACP is one of the best self-defense calibers out there for auto-loaders, and I also believe it is better than the 9mm for defense. That being said, it doesn't mean the 9mm is not an adequate gun to defend yourself, especially with modern defense ammuntion. The 5-inch 1911 brickbat cannot be all thing to all people (I'm sorry JD, it's ok...really, it's ok)

Now that my rant for 9mm is complete, let me encourage you to shoot your Dad's guns. I know CZ makes a quality piece, and the newer SP-01 is become a strong competiter at action pistol events, so if you like the P-01 after shooting it, I think it would be an excellent choice (especially at the father-to-son discount price).

If you don't like it, don't let him pressure you into it because it's a good deal. You can probably find a local range to rent the XD, and if not often times just holding a gun lets you know it may be the right choice for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

PS: .45 zealots please standby while I get my helmet on before you start pelting me with stones.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 02-19-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

A 9mm will do the job it needs to do. That's bottom line ,and don't let anyone tell you differently.

The XD and the Glock are pretty similiar, but I give the XD points for having a more polished pistol. CZ is a very good company also. They make very, very good quality pistols.

Get out there and figure out which one feels right in your hand. You won't go wrong with any of those.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default +1 For P-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
Looks like this topic has been covered variously through the boards, but none were really for 9mm or specific to my comparisons.

I am purchasing a handgun by next week and was originally looking at S&W Sigmas, but I read too many bad things about them so I upped my budget and am now looking between the Springfield XD 9mm and the Glock 19. My dad bought a Glock 19 yesterday, so I plan to go shoot it this week, but I don't have access to an XD to compare it to. I am going to go see one today though. I've shot a Glock 26, but that is too small, I didn't like it. My dad also has 2 CZ P-01s and would be willing to give me a good deal on one of them, so I am considering it b/c its supposed to be a reputable gun and marginally more expensive, which I can get a deal on.

I want a 9mm for the cheaper ammo so I can actually afford to shoot, so please don't try to sell me on anything bigger, I don't want it. Everyone keeps telling me I need a 40 or 45, I don't buy it.

Thanks in advance!
rrasco, I've been a 357 or 45ACP man for years- for target and carry. I've handloaded target ammo for 9's for years, but never owned 1. This last summer I went to my local dealer with intentions on buying a used Glock 9. I left the store with a NEW P-01. I have since fired 6-700 rounds through the CZ, and have nothing but praise for it. The only diss at all is that it is OD Green finish? Have shot all types of loads through it, from Hard Cast 124 through large hollow pointed Gold Dots. No failures at all! This was bought BEFORE the large increase in $ of all firearms. It cost me $399 with all the acess.==1 spare mag.=5 snap caps=lock=factory test target=paper work+hard case. If your Dad will sell at this price/or better, I think you'll be happy--I am with mine. This comes from a 1st time 9mm owner, long time 357/45ACP owner/carrier

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 02-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The XD or the CZ are both good quality pistols, I like the XD a little better. You didn't mention what your budget was but if you have room look at the S&W M&P in 9mm. I think it's a cut above the XD or the CZ but so is the price.

Let us know what you purchased.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
The 5-inch 1911 brickbat cannot be all thing to all people (I'm sorry JD, it's ok...really, it's ok)
Blasphemy!! You shall be FLOGGED for talking such rubbish!

rrasco - of the choices you mentioned, I would opt for the deal on the CZ personally. I feel they make one hell of a good pistol and their company is great with customer service.

I would also opt for the XD over the Glock, but only if the XD was their new model with the external safety features. Otherwise I am not a big fan of the polymer wonder pistols.

As for the 9mm there is part of me that wants to tell you that is just a .45 round set on "stun" . Truth be told, get some hollow points for self defense in 135grain and you will be good to go. That is what my Mrs. carries in her pistol and I am confident in it's ability to do the job at hand should the need arise...

JD

Old 02-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #7

Thanks for all the tips guys! I ended up picking up pretty much the last black XD 9 in town, couple OD green left, but not many either. I have yet to shoot any of these models, however, tomorrow me and my dad will be going to the range with my new XD, his Glock 19, and his CZ P-01s. It should give me a chance to compare all the different 9mms at once. I can still get the CZ from him later on if I like it.

I talked to a lot of people, read reviews, looked at all the models, and I chose the XD for a few reasons. One, I liked how it felt in my hand and it has the palm safety, which I like. I am a tad concerned it doesn't have any manual safety, but I also looked at the S&W M&P which didn't have any safety at all. I've read and heard really good things about the XD and am confident it will be a great gun for me. Even if I wanted a Glock 19, I'd have to find one first, lol.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Looks like you got yourself a nice purchase there rrasco - I look forward to your range report to see how she performs for you...

Congrats on the new addition!!

JD

Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I fired my XD9 today, and if you are anything like me, you'll like how it handles.

I'll be putting up a good range report here real soon, but basically the XD9 performed very, very, very, very well.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #10

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
I liked how it felt in my hand and it has the palm safety, which I like.
+ 1 on the method of choice.

I don't like tupperware, but I HATE a gun that doesn't FEEL GOOD!

You did the right thing,...unless after shooting.....your lust switches to another sweetheart!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello