Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Springfield XD 45acp vs S&W M&P 45acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Springfield XD 45acp vs S&W M&P 45acp

Any thoughts on these two pistols? I have read the S&W is suppose to be really comfortable, accurate and low recoil. I think I will be getting one of them but I haven't ruled out a 1911 either. All input welcome. Thanks

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've prev owned an XD45 before. If choosing between just these two, I'd get the XD.

I've rented an M&P 9mm and a 45 before. They were accurate, but I absolutely hate the trigger. It is very hard to find the exact breaking point of the trigger (a practice that helps with accuracy). There are tons of people who love the M&P after doing a mod to the trigger.

But, without trying that first, I'm not willing to buy a new gun and HOPE that I will like the trigger after putting an aftermarket piece in.

If you DO like the M&P trigger, then I'd get that gun.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #3

they are both well made and reliable.

The newer XDM will have the best trigger .

Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I love my M&P. I haven't shot a XD, mostly because they are not approved in MA because Springfield has they 'G' word. That said, yes the trigger leaves something to be desired. One of these https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html will fix that problem. The ergonomics are damn perfect, especially with the different back straps. I have only had two FTFs with it in thousands of rounds and I'm blaming the cheap target ammo.

Conclusion = M&P

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I love my M&P. I haven't shot a XD, mostly because they are not approved in MA because Springfield has they 'G' word. That said, yes the trigger leaves something to be desired. One of these https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html will fix that problem. The ergonomics are damn perfect, especially with the different back straps. I have only had two FTFs with it in thousands of rounds and I'm blaming the cheap target ammo.

Conclusion = M&P
It says that is not to be used on a 45acp

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
It says that is not to be used on a 45acp
Apologies https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid16.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Both are good pistols, find a range that rents both and figure out what one fits you best. I like the M&P better, it has been my CC for six years. The first one I owned now belongs to my son, the second one I had a trigger job done to take up some of the slack and to remove a few pounds off the trigger pull. I think it was worth it, my son doesn't like it, he likes the trigger as is.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #8

I have both. I loved the M&P...until I got my XD. Now I love the XD and the M&P has just been demoted to Cinderella. The trigger is better on the XD, capacity is more, the grip safety adds a bit more comfort when carrying, and it's smaller and easier to carry. I still like the M&P but I can't see how it really compares with the XD. My 2 pennies...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Being that the XD is ugly as sin, I would go with the M&P. Wait, I have an M&P45 and it is very nice. I haven't done anything to the trigger and it is just fine.
Let's see what my son thinks of the M&P.

Yeah, that'll do.
So what, watch it again

Old 07-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

As an owner of an M&P, I can recommend it highly.

If you value a really sweet trigger a 1911 may be the way to go. However, the S&W trigger can be tuned easily by anyone who understands the trigger mechanism and knows how to polish metal surfaces. But if you are not sure about such things a qualified gunsmith is the way to go, and it probably won't cost too much.

Also, I just wanted to mention that the DPM recoil management system is a fine product imo, and is available for both the M&P and the XD.

Last edited by cswann1; 07-17-2011 at 08:16 AM.