So i know im sounding like an fng here
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > So i know im sounding like an fng here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default So i know im sounding like an fng here

But is it too much stress on the magazine springs if I leave them loaded? And I am talking about my home defense pistol, not my ccw. So they are just sitting in the safe.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5664 Times on 2958 Posts
Likes Given: 375

no stress at all. unloading the magazine does more harm than leaving them loaded.

from a previous post i left a reply on this very topic:

Quote:
one of my very first jobs was working in a machine shop and the very wise owner explained how springs and metal work. you can bend metal, which basicly what springs do is bend, this is work and makes the atoms of the material rub against each other generating heat. the heat weakens the structure. when the piece of metal is not moving, in the case of springs compressed or decompressed, there is no heat being generated. so a spring doesnt care if its compressed or not.

you can see the effect yourself by bending a coathanger wire back and forth and feel the heat it generates at the bend. bend it once and leave it there is no further heat generated. same for springs.

so anyone claiming that springs need to rest or at full compression fatigue dont know anything about metal working or the properties of steel.

im no expert by any stretch but its basic metalurgy

when you get someone that says their mags dont work full loaded its because the springs are worn out or are faulty and being compressed beyound their operating range. you see this a lot with cheap foreign magazines and cheap US made ones. its not however because the springs "need to rest" thats just foolishness.

a quality magazine will function at its rated load for as long as needed or until decays from rust

one last thing. you dont take the leaf springs out of your car to "let them rest" or jack the body of the frame at nite so those last few pounds dont cause a rough ride...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

spring set can occure in magazines being left loaded for long periods of time.www.gunsprings.com/faq,they might be a little sels serving but they have good info on the subject.if you can find the book The Tactical 1911 written by Dve Lauck he talks briefly about spring set.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Last edited by rifleman1; 05-01-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Can we get a stickie on this? Seems to come up once a week.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright guys thanks you've been a lot of help!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #6

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
spring set can occure in magazines being left loaded for long periods of time.www.gunsprings.com/faq,they might be a little sels serving but they have good info on the subject.if you can find the book The Tactical 1911 written by Dve Lauck he talks briefly about spring set.
Hmmm, didn't bother looking at the link since it sounds like they're in the business of selling springs!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Spring fatigue comes from the amount of times a spring has been compressed and released. Leave your mags loaded and you'll be just fine. This is a common internet myth.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #8

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

i like to give the best info possible just because one believes spring set to be a myth does not make it so, spring set can and does occur.it may take years and it may never be an issue for some people or most but it still can happen.google search "A magazine spring experiment"this one is not saleing anything.www.ballistics101.combottom of the page there is the list you will see the experiment.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Last edited by rifleman1; 05-02-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5664 Times on 2958 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Springset is being misrepresented by that link. While every spring has a natural ammount of set it will take, on a properly designed magazine that set factor is taken into account.

What spring set actually is, is the amount of permanent compression a spring has from when it was brand new to a shorter permanent length once its been in use a while.

When a spring is properly designed the engineer designing the magazine takes that into account and its a nonfactor.

Springs do wear out from sustained use. The wear is NOT from the compressed state of the spring but from its constant compression and decrompression cycle itself.

Loading and then unloading a magazine to let a spring "rest" does far more damage than just leaving the magazine full

Springset is a term used incorrectly by certain folks to sell ya unneeded springs.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
When a spring is properly designed the engineer designing the magazine takes that into account and its a nonfactor.

Springs do wear out from sustained use. The wear is NOT from the compressed state of the spring but from its constant compression and decrompression cycle itself.
If the spring is properly designed, it should last millions of cycles, way beyond my income level of shooting

I would expect any mfg to properly design a spring.