Smith & Wesson M&P safety - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson M&P safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
I can't tell you much, but I can tell you my M&P 40c has a mag safety, and the tool got all chewed up one of the first time I removed it.
Sean, are you Gutpile with a new screen name? Still haven't found info on a mag safety on a M&P and the palm tool is stainless steel with a polly base so I would like to hear how it got chewed up the first time you removed it.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Sean, are you Gutpile with a new screen name? Still haven't found info on a mag safety on a M&P and the palm tool is stainless steel with a polly base so I would like to hear how it got chewed up the first time you removed it.
I'm just Sean. I'll snap a photo of the mag safety and the manual, because I believe it's mentioned in there as well.

Edit: it's the poly "tooth" which twists into place which got distorted. I just don't remove it anymore. It's not ruined but if I used it often I can see how it wouldn't last.

Last edited by SeanCucf; 11-21-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Ok guys, the S&W M&P .40 now comes equipped with internal, external and automatic safeties. You can now get it with or without an external thumb safety. With the internal (magazine safety) it will not allow the gun to fire if there is a round in the chamber and the magazine is removed. They now have models without the internal magazine safety that DO fire with the magazine removed.

As stated, they do now make the M&P .40 that lacks an internal magazine disconnect safety and have an external thumb safety.

Is this what you guys are talking about?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am not a big fan of the magazine disconnect, not for any particular reason, I just don't like it. I have M&P's with it and without it, and I wouldn't turn around for the difference. The original idea of the magazine disconnect was that in a weapon retention struggle, if an officer thought he was going to lose his weapon, he should lastly eject the magazine so that if the perp did get control of the officer's gun it would not fire. The feature has saved officers lives and is a selling point that S&W uses when pitching the gun to departments.
The external thumb safety is now available on all the M&P's models. I have never heard of one being added to a non-safety model, that's not saying it couldn't be done, but I don't think it would be practical from a cost standpoint, but that's just a guess. Some buyers like safeties. The more safeties the better is their motto.
Does the gun need the thumb safety? No. Does the gun need a magazine disconnect? No. The question is, do you want those features? If so, S&W has a gun for you. Just pick the features and the model and then pull out the money. Your local dealer will take it from there.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #15

Here's the mag safety. In the manual and the pin in the pistol. Sorry, camera phone shots. It wouldn't focus on the manual, but you can make it out.

edit: I wasn't even aware of the mag safety until I read the manual. I don't really care one way or the other, and it wouldn't have changed my purchase either way. However, I guess it's good to know, that for what ever reason if the mag is released and the pistol is assumed empty, it will not fire.....i dunno.

Last edited by SeanCucf; 11-22-2009 at 02:59 AM.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #16

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Nope, 45 ACP is not a good round for bear. 45 Colt maybe, 41 Mag or 44 Mag would be my choice for bear. More powder and heavyier bullet.

If your looking to protect yourself from bear, don't carry a too light round, go from something that will save your life. (even if it only a posibility that you would run into one.)

Shoot straight and be safe.
Jim

Old 11-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #17
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't know that the S&W M&P had a mag safety option. Is it common or a spec like the thumb safety. I have a couple M&P's and while I wouldn't want the option I didn't know the mag safety was an option. I can't read the blur pictures but accept that it is an option.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #18

The mag safety is an option. I think the first batch of m&p sent to Canada all came with that feature. If you pistol says," capable of firing with no magazine" on the side, then,it doesn't have that feature. I'm not sure about the current models. Sorry for the two month delay in replying.

Last edited by Gutpile; 11-28-2009 at 07:25 PM.