Smith & Wesson M&P safety
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson M&P safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Smith & Wesson M&P safety

The local dealer has a 45 full size and a 45 compact. Both with out safetys can you add an safety to and M&P I have heard about people meving them. Just go my 9 compact and was looking at an 45 to carry when I hunt. The 9 is small and I can carry it conceal and is easy to carry in glove box. Any input on saftety or on the 45. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3371 Times on 1744 Posts
Likes Given: 354

The M&P series utilizes internal and automatic safeties. There is no external manual safety option. It actually has more "safeties" than a S&W revolver.

Are you hunting in bear country? If so, neither 9 nor 45 are sufficient for self defense. 10mm or .41 Magnum are considered minimal bear defense sidearms.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Lookingon the Smith and Wesson site they offer most of the M&P series pistols with or without thumb saftey. If you are interested in one with I would ask your dealer to order you in the one you want and not try to have it installed. Prob gona be more reliable and not take away from the value in the long run.
Category - Military and Police

Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #4

Thanks and yes to the bear country. Not a lot of them but just enough to make you want to carry one during bow season. I was thing the 45 would be ok for that. I know if I was hunt bear 41 or a 44 would do it. Thanks

Old 10-13-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've carried the full size M&P 45 consealed with out external safety with one in the tube for almost three years and never had an issue. The built in safety and the trigger safety is more than enough to keep you safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #6

Default safety

What do you mean by built in safety and trigger safety and are you talking about full size or compact?

(I've carried the full size M&P 45 consealed with out external safety with one in the tube for almost three years and never had an issue. The built in safety and the trigger safety is more than enough to keep you safe)

Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coacho View Post
What do you mean by built in safety and trigger safety and are you talking about full size or compact?

(I've carried the full size M&P 45 consealed with out external safety with one in the tube for almost three years and never had an issue. The built in safety and the trigger safety is more than enough to keep you safe)
The pistol is built to withstand a drop (I believe 10' on to a hard surface) with out going off no matter how it lands on the ground, that is the built in safety. The trigger is hinged requiring the lower portion to have pressure applied or the trigger will not pull back. If you have a S&W M&P already in 9mm you can check this by trying to pull the trigger using the top half of the trigger. Both full size and compact have these features.

Quote:
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #8

Default M&P safety

The added on thumb safety is just as useless as the mag safety(which i disconnected). A safety is a feature that should not be relied on...and pistols are absolutely useless as bear repellant. Believe me, i've shot enough bears to sink a battle ship.
The M&P design is a good one(except for the plastic palm swell tool which got destroyed in a minute)
close enough to the Glock but with others so that S&W don't get sued again..like they did with the sigma.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
The added on thumb safety is just as useless as the mag safety(which i disconnected). A safety is a feature that should not be relied on...and pistols are absolutely useless as bear repellant. Believe me, i've shot enough bears to sink a battle ship.
The M&P design is a good one(except for the plastic palm swell tool which got destroyed in a minute)
close enough to the Glock but with others so that S&W don't get sued again..like they did with the sigma.
WTF
M&P doesn't have a mag safety switch
How did the palm swell tool get distroyed in minutes?
How did that Glock suit end up concerning Sigma?
I'd respond more but I don't speak Glock
How many bear/beers does it take to sink a battle ship?

Quote:

Old 11-20-2009, 02:24 AM   #10

I can't tell you much, but I can tell you my M&P 40c has a mag safety, and the tool got all chewed up one of the first time I removed it.