Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Smith & Wesson BodyGuard (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/smith-wesson-bodyguard-63909/)

Arnie2toy 05-06-2012 01:28 AM

Smith & Wesson BodyGuard

I have a Smith & Wesson BodyGuard & the safety is very hard to put on & release. Can anyone tell me if this is normal & is there any way to make the safety easier to use? Also is there another type of safety button available that might be easier to use and not be so hard on your thumb?

GonzoGeezer 05-06-2012 06:08 PM

I do not use the safety when I carry. Primarily, that's because I'm left handed and using the safety is difficult. But also, the length of pull of the DA trigger acts as a sort of safety in and of itself. Several other guns I own have no manual safety levers at all, such as my PF-9. Consider also that revolvers have no safeties. I think S&W took the suspenders-and-belt approach with the BG380, just as they did with their new M&P Shield.

--Lee

--Lee. Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

oli700 05-06-2012 06:56 PM

Well thats great Lee....but do you know why his safety is overly stiff ?

GonzoGeezer 05-06-2012 07:38 PM

My point was that the OP didn't need to use the safety to safely carry the gun. As to stiffness, that's a subjective measure. Stiff compared to what? I think the safety is firm and positive, not stiff. Perhaps an armorer can dismantle the gun and grind the detent to ease the safety's operation, but why bother?

ScottA 05-06-2012 09:36 PM

I agree with Gonzo. I carry a Bodyguard 380 as well. I do use the safety, but that is because my other carry pistol is a Ruger SR9C and that I always carry with the safety on. I want to make sure I'm using the same muscle memory for both guns. But as a stand alone, the long DA trigger of the BG 380 does not require the additional safety.

If it is too stiff, take it to a gunsmith and have it worked on.

Arnie2toy 05-08-2012 12:40 PM

The safety is so stiff that I can't place it in the on position without turning the Bodyguard on it's side and pushing very hard with my thumb. It is extremely stiff, I have even placed a drop of oil in the safety and worked it off & on, but it still remain very stiff, you can't do it with one hand only. To me that is too stiff. I have a pretty good grip and my right hand is strong.

Tom86 05-09-2012 03:21 AM

I routinely carry a Bodyguard. I don't use the safety. You're right, it is very stiff. But the trigger pull is also stiff as well as being long. That gun ain't gonna go off by itself or by snagging it. My other carry guns, the safety is always on. Almost never with this one.

Arnie2toy 05-09-2012 11:19 AM

Factory fix

I called Smith & Wesson & they told me to send it to them & they will fix the too stiff safety issue . They will also pick up the UPS cost to & from them. Can't beat that for service I guess. We will see.

primer1 05-09-2012 01:49 PM

... May cause vision problems or rapid heartbeat. If your safety is stiff for more than four hours call a gun doctor...

GonzoGeezer 05-09-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnie2toy
The safety is so stiff that I can't place it in the on position without turning the Bodyguard on it's side and pushing very hard with my thumb. It is extremely stiff, I have even placed a drop of oil in the safety and worked it off & on, but it still remain very stiff, you can't do it with one hand only. To me that is too stiff. I have a pretty good grip and my right hand is strong.

Yes, that description indicates it is way too stiff. You hadn't mentioned that originally. Sending to S&W was a good move on your part, they do stand behind their products. Please report back when they return the gun. Good Luck.