Smith & Wesson 645 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson 645

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

The hammer is to be forward when installing the slide. When it is cocked the "levers" will not retract far enough to allow the slide to go all the way on the frame.
Take a plastic or leather mallet and gently tap forward on the back of the slide to free it. Lower the hammer and try again. Be careful to not break off the left lever as it is the ejector and the magazine safety.

I have a 4506 (the third generation version of the 645) and a 1006 (the 10mm version) and they are great guns. I shoot IPSC with them and my life depends on them on a regular basis.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well, after some additional persistence, I was able to depress the remaining lever & get the slide to go the rest of the way into position! Whew! It would not budge for a good while though. I originally had the hammer down & knew it was supposed to be. I realized once the slide was stuck that I had somehow cocked the hammer. Guess I shouldn't clean my guns at midnight, especially one that I've only shot & cleaned twice.

I'm glad it finally gave in cause I hope to take it to the outdoor range tomorrow. I really like everything about this gun, the weight & feel, the trigger pull both DA & SA. And its so heavy that if you ever had to defend yourself with it & ran out of ammo/clips, you could beat someone silly with it! But yet with the single stack clip, its thin for a big gun.

Both times at the range, even though I've had multiple other guns with me, both times I took out my 645 & shot it, people noticed it. One guy the 1st time out came over & asked if he could look at it.

I just wish I could get a set of Crimson Trace grips for it, but their 1911 grips have wider set screws. Without rails either, I guess there's no hope for mounting any type of laser. That'd make it a perfect home defense gun for me. Heck, if a bad guy just saw you pointing that big Stainless Tank of a gun at him & then saw a laser dot on him too, he'd head for the hills for sure!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #13

Default 645 mags

hello i recently purchased a 645 from a friend.unfortunately he only had one mag.can anyone suggest a website that sells mags for this weapon .thanks

Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I bought my extra mags from Midway and JLowe

Old 08-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Don Johnson's character Sonny Crockett on Miami Vice carried a Smith 645 starting in season 3.

Pro or Con?...that is up to you

If you like this gun, but aren't sure about it as your purchase you might also look at the Smith 4506, a latter version.
What happened to his BREN 10? that's the only one I recall him shooting.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #16

Default 645

I live near saltwater and wanted a ss gun, bought the 645 in 1989, still works like a champ, and no rust! from what I've seen it is pretty accurate and over all a very good gun, I like the grip just fine by the way.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I like the 645 a whole lot. It digests what I put into it and runs without problems , and right now that is 200 gr. plated bullets. They have a big hollow point and are relatively inexpensive. After 20 years (gyve or take), I've yet to try a factory round

Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 645

I bought my 645 in 1988 and absolutely love it! It's so smooth and very accurate. I did have an issue with it some time ago where it wouldn't fire properly. I sent it back to Smith & Wesson and they repaired it at no cost to me other than the shipping. It was well out of any warranty. It's been flawless ever since. I have yet to shoot a more consistently accurate .45. I would recommend this gun and will never part with mine! Hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #19

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie View Post
GOOD:
slender frame, feels like a 1911 in the hand.
double/single action with hammer-drop de-cock
stainless steel, even including springs, but hammer is carbon steel, more durable
heavy-weight, low recoil
S&W's first semi-auto .45ACP
BAD
single-stack mag, not hi-capacity
magazine disconnector (if you do not care for)
lacked improved wrap-around grips (came with next gen.)
poor chambered-round indication
big gun, heavy for concealed
said to be about as accurate, untuned, as 1911

It might be added that a single-action-only model was short production run, a very nice alternative, designated "745".

If I think of anything else, I'll add later. If you are thinking of buying one, you will not be disappointed, unless you are a crank, and then nothing would please anyway!
I am a crank, and it pleases me.

I'll only add these four observations:

As much as I love the 1911, the 645, IMHO, points better.

IF you wish the Beretta 92 came in 45ACP, this is your huckleberry.

I CC mine, heavy yes, but I'll bet it'll stop the fight before the shooting

starts, when the chips are down.

I wish I could get Hogue wraparound grips for it...

Last edited by therewolf; 04-20-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #20

Liked 2018 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Holy Zombie Thread! This one has been dead twice!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.