Smith & Wesson 645
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Smith & Wesson 645

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Smith & Wesson 645

Can someone offer the good and bad points for the model 645. Thanks Tom

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sorry, I can't...

It's a good looking gun though!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:38 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Good & Bad, IMO

GOOD:
slender frame, feels like a 1911 in the hand.
double/single action with hammer-drop de-cock
stainless steel, even including springs, but hammer is carbon steel, more durable
heavy-weight, low recoil
S&W's first semi-auto .45ACP
BAD
single-stack mag, not hi-capacity
magazine disconnector (if you do not care for)
lacked improved wrap-around grips (came with next gen.)
poor chambered-round indication
big gun, heavy for concealed
said to be about as accurate, untuned, as 1911

It might be added that a single-action-only model was short production run, a very nice alternative, designated "745".

If I think of anything else, I'll add later. If you are thinking of buying one, you will not be disappointed, unless you are a crank, and then nothing would please anyway!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #4

Handled one once nice gun but she was a brute rather heavy compared to my Colt Combat Commander .

I would be wary of the first Gen Smith autos as if I remember correctly some were recalled due to a dangerous defect .

They had improperly machined some parts in the decock feature and when you dropped the hammer and it hit the block of steel that stopped it the gun would fire . Either the block was too thick or the firing pins too long or both I can't remember .

Either way I would call Smith about it before buying one used and ask .

Old 10-23-2008, 02:15 AM   #5

I had one that I bought from a friend back in the mid 90's. I really wasn't interested in it, but he needed the money and I was nice enough to take it off his hands. It mostly lingered in the safe but I did take it out a few times for some "excercise". It always felt awkward in my hands, and that DA trigger was terrible. The SA trigger was better, but way too much takeup before hammerfall. The accuracy was OK, but it was no target gun. However, reliability was outstanding. It would cycle anything I put in it, even some of my mutated reloads that would choke a horse (aka my Colt). So it basically became the "garbage disposal" of my collection. The most impressive thing about it was it's ability to cycle EMPTY CASES. That's right, load up a mag with empties and rack the slide back and forth as fast as you can, it'll chamber and eject every one. Try that with a 1911 !. Anyway, a few months ago I had a strong desire to get a myself Tommygun and I traded the 645 away towards one. The dealer gave me $300 for it and then I later saw it in his display case marked at $449. It lingered there for a for a few months before it found itself a new home. It seems that there isn't a lot of collector interest in these and they don't usually sell for big money.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #6

I've owned the Model 645 since it first came out.

Pros:
It's reliable. It feeds pretty much everything I've given it without problem.
It's rugged.

Cons:
The DA trigger is pretty bad. Not smooth. A very long pull.
Heavy.
Not as comfortable in the hand (my hand at least) as a Colt.
Accuracy is just so-so.

Would I pick this as a target shooting gun? No way. But I'd pick it as a self-defense or combat gun.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don Johnson's character Sonny Crockett on Miami Vice carried a Smith 645 starting in season 3.

Pro or Con?...that is up to you

If you like this gun, but aren't sure about it as your purchase you might also look at the Smith 4506, a latter version.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 05-01-2009, 02:31 AM   #8

Default 645 is reliable, accurate...but don't look for accessories

I've had a 645 for years. It shoots anything well, with nary a jam. Sights are good, and the grip is very 1911-ish. DA trigger is on a par with most DAs - awful. But SA is smooth and gradual. Big problem...finding decent grips (Hogue and Pachmayr don't make them, for example) and most 1911 leather doesnt work with the trigger guard. It's not anywhere near as good as my Kimber, Sig and HK USP45, but it's still a good value, shoots much better than my son's .45 Glock...and I trusted it to shoot when my fancy Kimber and HK would burp out marginal ammo.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #9

Default 645

work horse shoots anything self defense, combat on my side .... the trigger really sucks ,long walk hard to find grips. but will go to combat with me if needed ... and please if there is anyone that knows how to do that type of trigger job to take the walk of i would appreciate any info , thanks ...

Old 08-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #10

I recently purchased a 645 from the original owner. Its a great gun. I've shot it twice & it performed flawlessly. It is a Stainless Tank, but that's the #1 appeal to me.

After the 1st cleaning I had problems getting the slide on due to difficulties in depressing the levers near the hammer(firing pin safety block, etc.) I was finally able to get it on.

However, last night after a 2nd outing, when reassembling the slide, it stuck on the rails, right at the safety levers. The slide only moves about 1/8 inch in either direction. Nothing I tried worked to free the slide. The trigger has a wiggle, but no real movement. The hammer is now back in the cocked position. You can't fully insert a magazine either.

Does any one have any ideas, or is this headed to a gunsmith or back to S&W to cure?

I really like this gun, so far, more than my new Kimber .45cal. I appreciate any tips or advice. I don't have any pics now, but I could take some & post if that helps.

I posted this on the S&W forum & rec'd some advice, but I need all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance!