smith &wesson 22a ammo question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > smith &wesson 22a ammo question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default smith &wesson 22a ammo question

I just got one today. Can anyone who has one share some brands/type of ammo they found to function good and good accuracy. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Hopefully, someone with that particular pistol will come along with the answer for you. All I can tell you is that in all the research I did in looking for a .22 pistol, was that they & most other manufacturers recommended the high velocity ammo, such as CCI Mimi Mags, CCI Stingers, etc. The cheap bulk ammo such as Federal 550 just doesn't seem to have the ooomph to cycle the slide properly. If you don't get an answer, I'd suggest just don't load up heavy on any one brand until you try a bunch of different brands to find what it likes.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Haven't shot one yet however, I have shot a lot of different .22 semi-auto pistols. Most will only feed the higher velocity ammo as mentioned
above. The only bulk ammo that I've ever had good luck with was the Remington golden bullets. Sometimes the federal bulk but not as much luck as with the Remington. Any cci ammo I put through one has never had a problem feeding it reliably. The Beretta neos I had would generally feed most brands of ammo without a hitch with only having a couple of stovepipes every couple hundred rounds. The Walther P22's are extremely picky as well as the Bersa thunder .22 I've been shooting of my friends. However, the bersa has been shooting the Remington golden bullets flawlessly. You can pretty much count on it reliably eating the cci ammo w/o a problem, but try the 50 rnd count boxes of different ammo to see if you can get off shooting something cheaper if it doesn't like the bulk.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a pair of S&W 22A1 - - - -these are great training weapons and I fire the cheap stuff in them - - - I do have occasional stove pipes but I feel that is good in the training environment as it will make clearing almost second nature and I’m not using this weapon for self defense.

Even with the cheapest ammo from Wal-Mart accuracy is good and ejection and feeding problems are not real common so will not make you too mad if you go into it with the idea you are getting extra training!

With better quality ammo you will have no problems at all.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I did buy am assortment of 22 ammo to test out. My family (I'm sure like alot others out there) is on a budget and I know me and my wife will be getting alot more range time plinking with the 22.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My 7" does pretty well with most ammo except the Federal 550 round bulk stuff (load 750) from Walmart. It even started liking the Rem. Thunderbolts that nothing else would shoot straight.

That doesn't necessarily mean that your gun will do well with the same stuff, of course. They all seem to have individual preferences for ammo.

If you are comfortable disassembling and working on your own pistol, I'd strongly suggest removing the slide (see the Owner's Manual) & checking for sharp edges & burrs before you do a lot of shooting. Several 22A-1 owners, myself included, have found a rather large burr on the inner front edge of the slide on the left side. This can/did scrape paint off the frame & doesn't help the gun cycle smoothly, either... Especially during break-in, I like to use a little grease on the rails, too. That's a personal preference though & YMMV.