Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Slide release

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Slide release

Sometimes charge my sr9c with the slide release, is this bad for the pistol? Is it meant for this or to simply lock back the slide. I have stopped doing it for now untill i hear otherwise. Read somewhere it was bad

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Look in the user's manual at the parts break down.
What nomenclature do they give the part?
On the 1911, the accepted term is slide stop. As a "stop", it should not be used to release the slide.
If the book calls it a release, then release the with it.

(And yes, I know a lot of people use the 1911 slide stop as a release with no ill affects so far, but it is a practice that should be discouraged.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 03-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Liked 2141 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

Why did they put a pad on it so you could push it down then? Just curious.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #4

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap View Post
Sometimes charge my sr9c with the slide release, is this bad for the pistol? Is it meant for this or to simply lock back the slide. I have stopped doing it for now untill i hear otherwise. Read somewhere it was bad
Opinions vary- I "slingshot" mine - mainly because the "release" is so dam stiff on it
On the rest of my semi autos i let'em slam home useing the slide stop (never on a empty chamber tho)

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

The pad is there should the stop fail to drop when "sling shotting" the slide.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5126 Times on 2669 Posts
Likes Given: 310

i use it to release the slide. since its the fastest way to get a pistol back into action after a reload its how i train. possible future damage to a ccw piece from wear is irrelevent to me. if it breaks at some future point and no longer locks the slide back replace it or replace the gun.

i would rather risk a non-critical part wearing out and get fast reloads if my life depends on it than save a few bucks on possible damage

just how i think about it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...