slide on P95 not working

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > slide on P95 not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default slide on P95 not working

I haven't fired this gun yet, but when I pull back the slide, it fails to load one in the chamber. The slide gets stuck all the way back and I have to push/force the slide to close. I've tried about six times with two different loads (one JHP, one FMJ).

Is this something that will work its way out after firing normally? It should just work, shouldn't it? Would disassembly and a lube fix it? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Can you post a pic of the problem?

Try also to post a pic of the recoil guide and spring assembly, please.

I'm thinking you may have a "lemon" and you will need to get it replaced from Ruger.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pictures would be a big help. It could be as simple as needing a cleaning or a mag feed issue. Is the pistol new or used?

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The gun is brand new. Bought from Bud's Guns.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do these pics help? Thanks.

Last edited by bleak23; 06-30-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm just a novice and can't name all of the parts. I'm not at home to look at my P85 manual, but I have something to look for. During disassembly, you reach into the top of the open slide and flip a part down kind of over the magazine well. If you forget to flip that back up, it might not feed bullets from the magazine. Just a thought. I'll try to get names for components tomorrow, when I have access to my owner's manual.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm thinking from your pictures that it might have a problem in the area underneath the rear of your slide assembly (near the back of the weapon where the sear is - or someplace where you can't see). Probably a defect is causing the slide to bind up somewhere. You may have a lemon on your hands, and I would advise taking it back to Ruger (or a gunsmith) for repair/replacement.

(P.S. This is just my personal opinion. Take it to a gunsmith or send it back to Ruger for a professional look)

Normally, the Ruger's slide is very easy to operate, and it will chamber rounds rather effortlessly.

DO NOT FIRE IT!!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth View Post
I'm just a novice and can't name all of the parts. I'm not at home to look at my P85 manual, but I have something to look for. During disassembly, you reach into the top of the open slide and flip a part down kind of over the magazine well. If you forget to flip that back up, it might not feed bullets from the magazine. Just a thought. I'll try to get names for components tomorrow, when I have access to my owner's manual.
\

When I reassembled my Uncle's p95 it did this. It looks that stupid little mag catch lever-thingee was in the wrong position when it got assembled (read: I screwed it up). Needed a gunsmith's attention to fix it.

This looks like a similar issue. hard to tell though.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I'm thinking from your pictures that it might have a problem in the area underneath the rear of your slide assembly (near the back of the weapon where the sear is - or someplace where you can't see). Probably a defect is causing the slide to bind up somewhere. You may have a lemon on your hands, and I would advise taking it back to Ruger (or a gunsmith) for repair/replacement.

(P.S. This is just my personal opinion. Take it to a gunsmith or send it back to Ruger for a professional look)

Normally, the Ruger's slide is very easy to operate, and it will chamber rounds rather effortlessly.

DO NOT FIRE IT!!!!!!!
+1 on this advice.

I see nothing in the pictures that jumps out causing the problem. If it's new let Ruger make it right. It's a truly good pistol made by a quality manufacturer. I don't know what there turn around time is like as I've never had to send a pistol in for work and I own a P93, P94 and a P95. You might want to take it to a local Gunsmith and for a few bucks I expect they can tell you exactly what the issue is. Please keep us in the loop and let us know what the issue is.

As expressed DO NOT FIRE THE PISTOL!!!! until you know what the issue is and have it corrected.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

Last edited by WDB; 07-01-2009 at 03:09 AM.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth View Post
I checked this on my P95, if you forget to flip the lever back up when you put a mag in the mag well the lever returns to the proper position. Also you can see in 4th & 5th picture the lever is in the proper position.

Quote:

Last edited by WDB; 07-01-2009 at 03:01 AM.