Slide locks back with ammo still in magazine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Slide locks back with ammo still in magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Slide locks back with ammo still in magazine

Today I was out shooting my Beretta 90-two and I ran into a bit of a problem. The slide locks back while there is still ammunition in the magazine every once in a while. Today was my first day shooting a new batch of reloaded shells so I'm thinking that that may have something to do with it. I have heard of people having problems with the bullet coming into contact with the slide lock if the bullet is forward at all in the magazine but this doesn't appear to be the problem in this case. Any ideas as to what the cause is would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2952 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Double check your thumb position. Then, check your mags for small cracks near the rear section of the lips.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Be sure your grip is keeping both hands clear of the lock.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I do a "tactical tap" after I load any magazine. I just bang it against my palm seating all the rounds to the back strap of the mag.

Yea I know it's a 1911 mag but I think you'll get the point.

I'm not familiar with the 92s mag but check the slide stop interface (if it has one) for wear.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 08-03-2010 at 02:02 AM.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I do a "tactical tap" after I load any magazine. I just bang it against my palm seating all the rounds to the back strap of the mag.
Yes sir, I been doing that for years with all of my magazines, pistol and rifle. Seems to work fine for me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Yes sir, I been doing that for years with all of my magazines, pistol and rifle. Seems to work fine for me.
Thats basic training stuff right there sir. Everybody looks at me like I'm high when I do that.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Do you have more than one magazine, and if so, does the problem occur with only one magazine?

I had a similar problem, albeit with a different gun. First it was one magazine, then it started happening with the other. One mag was after-market, but it was about the same age as the gun and original mag. I found some wear on the followers (refer to cane's picture). I replaced them both, and the problem disappeared.

As others have said, check your grip to make sure that you aren't contacting the slide stop. I'm sure you aren't when you take your grip initially, but sometimes our fingers slip during shooting, especially when the weather's hot and our hands get sweaty.

And if you think it might be the reloads, run some factory ammo through it and see if the problem persists.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check to see if the bullets in the mag are sticking. Mabe the mags need a good cleaning and the follower is sticking so you gun thinks the mag is empty.
Just my 2 cents
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping