Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Slide lock on S&W M&P? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/slide-lock-s-w-m-p-37516/)

urban 01-27-2011 10:38 PM

Slide lock on S&W M&P?

Went to a range today to compare a few pistols (1911, Glock 21, S&W M&P, and XD, all in .45 acp) and shot my tightest group with the M&P. The only problem was that the gun was malfunctioning, after about 80% of the shots the slide would lock back like the magazine was empty. It was a range gun, so probably neglected pretty badly, but when I told the guy at the counter about it he said that the M&P has a reputation for having problems with the slide lock.

My next best group was the XD but M&P shot significantly tighter. So how common is this? Any M&P .45 owner have this or heard of it?

dnthmn2004 01-27-2011 10:54 PM

M&P 40 owner, and never had/heard of this problem. Like you said, its probably neglect of a range gun. Or it could have been the way you were holding it? Type of ammo? I have thousands of rounds through my M&P and haven't had any malfunctions with WWB or defensive ammo.

urban 01-27-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 431160)
M&P 40 owner, and never had/heard of this problem. Like you said, its probably neglect of a range gun. Or it could have been the way you were holding it? Type of ammo? I have thousands of rounds through my M&P and haven't had any malfunctions with WWB or defensive ammo.

Yeah, a quick google search turned up nothing on what I was told was a common problem with the gun. The ammo could be the culprit too I suppose, since it was the range's sister company that produces it (Cal-ammo), so i imagine it's largely reloads from brass at the range.

Way I was holding it? you mean limp-wristing it? Could be, my experience with sidearms is pretty limited, but I don't think it's likely. Didn't have an issue with any of the other guns today, and the others that fired pistol had the same issue. Any other way I could have held it wrong (serious noob question)?

dnthmn2004 01-27-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban (Post 431167)
Yeah, a quick google search turned up nothing on what I was told was a common problem with the gun. The ammo could be the culprit too I suppose, since it was the range's sister company that produces it (Cal-ammo), so i imagine it's largely reloads from brass at the range.

Way I was holding it? you mean limp-wristing it? Could be, my experience with sidearms is pretty limited, but I don't think it's likely. Didn't have an issue with any of the other guns today, and the others that fired pistol had the same issue. Any other way I could have held it wrong (serious noob question)?

If you were shooting right handed, your right thumb might have gotten too close to the slide lock. But since it was happening to others, thats probably not the issue. Its probably a malfunction with the firearm, although I've never heard of this problem. Try emailing S&W, they have pretty good customer service and will let you know if its a common problem or neglect.

Reloads with range brass? I would never. I don't even shoot reloads from my good friends. It only takes one double charge and, bye bye gun and I'm SOL.

IGETEVEN 01-28-2011 12:00 AM

Never had an issue with my M&P .45, and it is really the only poly pistol I have in my stable. Granted, I do not shoot range reloads either, but I am more inclined to believe the pistol is a well used, abused and popular pistol for rental. Operator error, dirty pistol, inconsistent ammo loads or faulty magazine? Maybe try another M&P .45 for comparison and funtion, if possible.

billdeserthills 01-28-2011 12:24 AM

I recently took in a Walther PPS with a broken slide hold-open spring. Maybe your gun had a similar problem, with the spring broken the slide retainer gets to jump up every shot or jerk of your hand. S&W actually replaced the entire gun, after I sent it back for repair.