Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > slide or barrel damaged?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Default slide or barrel damaged?

So I just noticed that there's something odd going on at the barrel port in the slide of my 45. Not sure how well the photos depict this, but basically there's some raised sharp metal around the bottom edge. It looks as though the barrel has been jamming against it during operation/firing and pushing back the metal.

Even more oddly when I look at the business end of the gun, not down the hole but across it, the top edge of the barrel sticks slightly out of the slide, where the bottom is slightly recessed, thus angled. So I tested it and there's slop, slight movement of the barrel when fully shrouded by the slide. None of my others do this. They all also are perfectly even across the top, if not evenly recessed.

Perhaps the point where the guide rod connects to the barrel has worn and allowed this movement? I haven't shot the 45 in a while, the last time it performed fine though. Any thoughts?

forumrunner_20130209_231030.jpg

forumrunner_20130209_231040.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #2

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Does it still shoot just as well as ever?? Look like the barrel rubbing the frame from shooting with the extorior of the barrel dry and has just rolled out the metal at the barrel opening a bit under the barrel. File it off smooth and soften the edge, look for any wear into the barrel and use a heavy lube around the end of the barrel and back along the under side of the barrel. A very small amont rubbed around the barrel will stop wear. Get a small tube of this- http://www.proshotproducts.com/10cc-Syringe-Pro-Gold-Lube_p_617.html

Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Does it still shoot just as well as ever?? Look like the barrel rubbing the frame from shooting with the extorior of the barrel dry and has just rolled out the metal at the barrel opening a bit under the barrel. File it off smooth and soften the edge, look for any wear into the barrel and use a heavy lube around the end of the barrel and back along the under side of the barrel. A very small amont rubbed around the barrel will stop wear. Get a small tube of this- http://www.proshotproducts.com/10cc-Syringe-Pro-Gold-Lube_p_617.html
Sounds like a great suggestion. I will give that a shot.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5454 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

I hate to say it but thats the reason browning used a barrel bushing in designing the 1911. It was to keep the loose barrel link from letting the barrel rub the slide and produce that effect.

You might check your barrel link for wear and excessive wobble even cracking. Its a common issue with bushingless 1911 designs

If its not a 191, Disregard

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I hate to say it but thats the reason browning used a barrel bushing in designing the 1911. It was to keep the loose barrel link from letting the barrel rub the slide and produce that effect.

You might check your barrel link for wear and excessive wobble even cracking. Its a common issue with bushingless 1911 designs

If its not a 191, Disregard
I did look it over, immediately. No cracks, no excessive wobble interestingly. In any case I'm going to look for a new barrel. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I did look it over, immediately. No cracks, no excessive wobble interestingly. In any case I'm going to look for a new barrel. Thanks.
Maybe try a barrel bushing? I know Brownells has some inexpensive ones, and you would probably want to go with an oversized one because of the wear that has transpired. I'd also take a look at a barrel compensater/full kit. This can sometimes help with that wobble, almost as if it were to act like a bushing. Plus it looks badass! Good luck regardless, keep us posted. I want to see what you come up with!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #7

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just clean up the metal curl and lube the area with a heavy lube and see how it shoots. I doubt you will find a barrel and if you do it might need to be fitted to your handgun.$$$ That barrel is also harder than the slide Or should be. You have an inch + of barrel slideing along on the opening of the slide!! So look it over and lube and shoot.

This is not the best video as this 1911 has a barrel bushing but you should get the drift of what to lube on your.