Slide action vs. Revolving action PDW - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Slide action vs. Revolving action PDW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phburks View Post
For me the question of reliability comes back to me asking myself "What happens if I pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang?" Even a high quality semi auto can jam or misfire. When that happens you can't just pull the trigger and fire off another round. You have to clear your chamber and get another round into it before you can shoot again. With a revolver, if it doesn't go "bang" you just pull the trigger again. If one bullet misfires, there's nothing to clear, you just pull that trigger and let the cylinder rotate to the next bullet. I love both types of gun, but sometimes those few seconds can make all the difference.
Not entirely true. With a SA/DA, like my Bersa, if you get a misfire, just pull the trigger again, same as you would in a revolver. Now true, that won't help if the round is a total dud. But I've never encountered that using quality ammo. Every instance where I've encountered a misfire, pulling the trigger again resolved the problem. Which is why I generally don't like striker fired guns that have to be in "half cock" before they can be fired. You do indeed only get one shot with them.

Also, there are many ways a revolver can fail to go bang where pulling the trigger again won't help either. I was at the range the other day with my brother in law. He had his 357 revolver. Two shots into his second load, the gun stopped on him. The cylinder wouldn't turn, no matter how hard he pulled on the trigger. In the mean time, my automatic was still kicking them out, one after another.

Last edited by Paladin201; 01-14-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #12

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phburks
For me the question of reliability comes back to me asking myself "What happens if I pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang?" Even a high quality semi auto can jam or misfire. When that happens you can't just pull the trigger and fire off another round. You have to clear your chamber and get another round into it before you can shoot again. With a revolver, if it doesn't go "bang" you just pull the trigger again. If one bullet misfires, there's nothing to clear, you just pull that trigger and let the cylinder rotate to the next bullet. I love both types of gun, but sometimes those few seconds can make all the difference.
If it's an ammo problem...that's really on you...not the weapon. If the revolver experiences a mechanical malfunction, that ain't goin' away by pulling the trigger again. Just my opinion. Like I said earlier...dad has a lower quality revolver that you could stuff the cylinder full of the BEST ammo available, and still have a better than 50/50 chance of coming out unscathed in a game of Russian roulette, so the reliability issue is entirely relative to the quality of the firearm, not the type.

And if it IS the ammo, the chances of nothing happening the second time you pull the trigger is the same as the first.

.....opinions

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201

Not entirely true. With a SA/DA, like my Bersa, if you get a misfire, just pull the trigger again, same as you would in a revolver. Now true, that won't help if the round is a total dud. But I've never encountered that using quality ammo. Every instance where I've encountered a misfire, pulling the trigger again resolved the problem. Which is why I generally don't like striker fired guns that have to be in "half cock" before they can be fired. You do indeed only get one shot with them.

Also, there are many ways a revolver can fail to go bang where pulling the trigger again won't help either. I was at the range the other day with my brother in law. He had his 357 revolver. Two shots into his second load, the gun stopped on him. The cylinder wouldn't turn, no matter how hard he pulled on the trigger. In the mean time, my automatic was still kicking them out, one after another.
That a good point...I think Taurus and maybe others by now even have striker pistols that will hit a primer again, if it fails to go off.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6783 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

I dont care for revolvers because if the action jams up due to ammo isues it takes tools and lots of time to clear it.

Any part in the revolver mechanism which is very complex, relies on very small delicate parts breaks your out of business. They arent nearly as simple as they are made out to be.

With an auto they can even lose the recoil spring aand its possible to still fire in single shot in an emergency. They have much more simple mechanisms towork it. If you get ammo failure that locks the action just rack the slide.

Self defense is all about hitting the badguy fast enough, and enough times to make him stop. Thats where revolvers really drop the ball in my opinion.

Revolvers are slow to get on target with follow up shots. They have no recripricating mass to absorb a good portion or the recoil energy. Yes ive seen jerry miculek(sp) shoot and reload his crazy way underpowered specially designed revolver but that isnt the norm. He cant fire an out of the box ruger or sw self defense 357 mag using self defense loads like that. The laws of physics wont allow it.

For me revolvers are a range gun nothing else. Ive got a colt python i love but i wouldnt carry it into the woods. Ive got a disposable xdm in 45acp for that.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I dont care for revolvers because if the action jams up due to ammo isues it takes tools and lots of time to clear it.

Any part in the revolver mechanism which is very complex, relies on very small delicate parts breaks your out of business. They arent nearly as simple as they are made out to be.

With an auto they can even lose the recoil spring aand its possible to still fire in single shot in an emergency. They have much more simple mechanisms towork it. If you get ammo failure that locks the action just rack the slide.

Self defense is all about hitting the badguy fast enough, and enough times to make him stop. Thats where revolvers really drop the ball in my opinion.

Revolvers are slow to get on target with follow up shots. They have no recripricating mass to absorb a good portion or the recoil energy. Yes ive seen jerry miculek(sp) shoot and reload his crazy way underpowered specially designed revolver but that isnt the norm. He cant fire an out of the box ruger or sw self defense 357 mag using self defense loads like that. The laws of physics wont allow it.

For me revolvers are a range gun nothing else. Ive got a colt python i love but i wouldnt carry it into the woods. Ive got a disposable xdm in 45acp for that.
I understand your point, and it's well taken. But the question of a survival situation breaks down...for ME anyway...into two categories...defense, and taking game.

People do hunt with handguns...but they aren't shooting deer, etc with an XDm. Thats what I'm thinking about.

In a pinch, I'll take a top quality revolver for defense. Police in America did so for decades. Would I rather have a higher cap auto? Yup, sure would.

JMHO, though...

Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #16

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
I will take a slide action auto. More firepower, in a smaller, lighter package. I think the argument that revolvers are more reliable than autos is over rated and not entire accurate. The argument has been tainted by various low quality, poor performing autos out there. Yes, a poorly made auto is going to perform poorly next to a revolver. But a high quality auto, in good repair, is every bit as reliable as a revolver.
And "in well trained hands" most any auto malfunctions can be cleared In a matter of seconds. Should a revolver fail, yea I know it's unlikely, but your now holding a club that's going to need tools before it's back in action.

Auto or wheelgun the old saying still applies...

1 gun=none
2 guns = 1
ECT

Tack

Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #17

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts

I carry a Sig P226 and never worry about it going "bang" when needed. It is maintained properly and only fed high quality defense rounds for CCW. Both of those are the keys to function.

I have also did a week and over a thousand rounds through that Sig without a single hiccup, just to be sure it was dependable. I once had a Gunny tell me if your semi can't do that, you have the wrong sidearm. That doesn't mean that I don't practice every malfunction that can happen with an auto, because Murphy has not left the building.

I sometimes carry an STI 1911 in 45acp. Same story, maintained and well fed combined with practice, practice, practice. I am at the range at least once a week, usually 2 or 3 times. I was at 500 rounds before I trusted the 1911 enough to carry it for defense. Yeah, I don't trust easy, guns or people.

Now in the great big bad wilderness, I'm carrying a Ruger Super Blackhawk loaded with .44mag 300grain XTP Hornady's with lots of spare ammo. That should stop most things and it is the pistol that I hunt whitetail with. And since I believe in belts and suspenders, I have the Sig P226 with a spare mag as well.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Something to keep in mind: The military replaced revolvers with semi auto pistols (Colt 1911 45ACP) because they were more reliable under field conditions. They could have gone to a 45 caliber double action revolver but did not although they did issue some when supplies of 1911 pistols ran short.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #19

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122

Just curious, I dont have an M9 but why do you not like it? Thanks, Ed
Because the grip is so fat I can't hold onto it. Even though it's only a 9mm, I have to readjust my grip every 2 rounds or so. I like the gun, and if I could properly grip it, I'd have one. There is a single stack version that has a smaller grip, but the capacity of an M9 full size is part of the appeal to me. I know there are after market grips all over the place for the M9, but I also don't want to risk buying a gun, putting good grips on it, and then possibly still not being able to hold onto it.

So hey, if any one is in the N MS area and has an M9 with grippier grips, and willing to let me test drive it, holla at me.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

If it's an ammo problem...that's really on you...not the weapon. If the revolver experiences a mechanical malfunction, that ain't goin' away by pulling the trigger again. Just my opinion. Like I said earlier...dad has a lower quality revolver that you could stuff the cylinder full of the BEST ammo available, and still have a better than 50/50 chance of coming out unscathed in a game of Russian roulette, so the reliability issue is entirely relative to the quality of the firearm, not the type.

And if it IS the ammo, the chances of nothing happening the second time you pull the trigger is the same as the first.

.....opinions
Yes my post was pertaining to ammo, as any good quality and well-maintained firearm should be as reliable as the next. Good quality ammo is ideal for self defense and its what I purchase for myself. But on the occasion that there is an issue with the ammo, a revolver is less likely to jam than a semi-auto.

I guess you said it well tho, opinions. I'd trust either type of gun to save my life if its well-maintained and using good quality ammo. Revolver is just my preference.