Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Slide action vs. Revolving action PDW (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/slide-action-vs-revolving-action-pdw-55444/)

GlockUSA 01-13-2012 09:44 PM

Slide action vs. Revolving action PDW

So I just posted a thread about the most reliable carry weapon. Now I want yall opinions on what is better a revolver or a slide action. I am starting a debate. I like revolvers for their undying dependablity but I don't like the low number of rounds. I like slide action as well but I want a point counter point discussion in this because I am truly interested in know what more people will choose and why

trip286 01-13-2012 09:55 PM

I prefer revolvers myself, but I've been issued the M9, and intend to get a 1911 soon. I've shot many revolvers and semis, but

have never shot a 1911, so I'll weigh back in in a month or so. Hopefully I'll have something good to report on a new 1911.
I like GLOCKs, but there are more cons than pros for me, like with the M9. No since in having a gun I don't like.

Edit, it is the functionality of the GLOCK, along with the accuracy I can achieve with it. Absolutely HATE the grip angle and can't really stand to shoot it.

Paladin201 01-13-2012 10:46 PM

I will take a slide action auto. More firepower, in a smaller, lighter package. I think the argument that revolvers are more reliable than autos is over rated and not entire accurate. The argument has been tainted by various low quality, poor performing autos out there. Yes, a poorly made auto is going to perform poorly next to a revolver. But a high quality auto, in good repair, is every bit as reliable as a revolver.

Chandler51 01-13-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin201
I will take a slide action auto. More firepower, in a smaller, lighter package. I think the argument that revolvers are more reliable than autos is over rated and not entire accurate. The argument has been tainted by various low quality, poor performing autos out there. Yes, a poorly made auto is going to perform poorly next to a revolver. But a high quality auto, in good repair, is every bit as reliable as a revolver.

I agree...quality of the gun is what determines the reliability. My dad has a cheap revolver that you could load with 6 rounds, and still come out unscathed in a game of Russian roulette....

GlockUSA 01-14-2012 03:41 AM

You know I also agree. I have had semis that just sucked it up and I have had revolvers do the same. So let me ask a more focused question. Between the top ends of both world what would be your choice if you were do a survival trip for 2 weeks... Top end revolver or top end semi and why. And trust me I am asking for a good reason

Chandler51 01-14-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockUSA
You know I also agree. I have had semis that just sucked it up and I have had revolvers do the same. So let me ask a more focused question. Between the top ends of both world what would be your choice if you were do a survival trip for 2 weeks... Top end revolver or top end semi and why. And trust me I am asking for a good reason

Really depends... For ME, I tend towards SA's and striker pistols because I'm not very good with a revolver's DA trigger. I LOVE the trigger pull of a quality revolver when fired SA though.

However, in a survival situation, I wouldn't be overly enamored with the limited capacity of a revolver, yet I'd prob have to go with a .44 mag or 500 S&W. It will work for everything...hunting, defense, etc. (I wouldn't like it tho) :)

GlockUSA 01-14-2012 07:13 AM

Hmmm I think you have a point. I am a Striker fire guy myself that's one reason I love GLOCK. But ya the revolver seems to have much smaller of a chance to break or malfunction. I'll go revolver I think but I'm going with 357 mag

FaTmAn 01-14-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockUSA (Post 676609)

I think i would have to choose the revolver, for a couple of reasons probably nothing less then then .44 mag

1 caliber if i want to get a round that will stop a bear i can get one pretty easily and i feel that your pretty limited with the semi auto's that i have seen or ever delt with.

2. if it comes to close quarter shooting like contact close i dont want to have to worry about putting the barrel onto the body and putting the gun out of battery

3. Imho you can shoot farther with a revolver so if i got to tag dinner at a greater distance i got that option.

That being said i carry semi auto all day everyday and love my glock so its hard for me to say that.

eborden1122 01-14-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 676324)
I prefer revolvers myself, but I've been issued the M9, and intend to get a 1911 soon. I've shot many revolvers and semis, but

have never shot a 1911, so I'll weigh back in in a month or so. Hopefully I'll have something good to report on a new 1911.
I like GLOCKs, but there are more cons than pros for me, like with the M9. No since in having a gun I don't like.

Edit, it is the functionality of the GLOCK, along with the accuracy I can achieve with it. Absolutely HATE the grip angle and can't really stand to shoot it.

Just curious, I dont have an M9 but why do you not like it? Thanks, Ed

phburks 01-14-2012 11:19 AM

For me the question of reliability comes back to me asking myself "What happens if I pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang?" Even a high quality semi auto can jam or misfire. When that happens you can't just pull the trigger and fire off another round. You have to clear your chamber and get another round into it before you can shoot again. With a revolver, if it doesn't go "bang" you just pull the trigger again. If one bullet misfires, there's nothing to clear, you just pull that trigger and let the cylinder rotate to the next bullet. I love both types of gun, but sometimes those few seconds can make all the difference.