Silver lining
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Silver lining

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Silver lining

Last year I tried to get my daughter's mother into shooting, but she was scared. I think I could have chose different calibers and pistols, I started her out with my Colt series 80 government in 45 and my Glock 22 in 40 S&W, she almost dropped them. She asked me if I had something smaller and quieter, and I do not. My silver lining is that I am going get a 9 mm sig 226(and a suppressor for my one my 45s). I'm leaning towards the sig 226 combat or navy in 9 mm.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #2

Liked 1978 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Why don't you pick up an inexpensive 22? After being scared by larger calibers, I don't think she'll be any more inclined to shoot a 9mm.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would give a nonshooter a large caliber weapon to start with. You don't give a 15 year old kid a F1 race car for his first driving lesson.

There is nothing funny about people being frightened away from the sport or dropping weapons because someone "experienced" gave them an overpowered gun for their first foray into shooting.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sounds like a good idea, I'll do that. I'll just get the 9 mm so she will have something when she is ready for it, but till then I'll get a 22. How is the walthers

Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
Why don't you pick up an inexpensive 22? After being scared by larger calibers, I don't think she'll be any more inclined to shoot a 9mm.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would give a nonshooter a large caliber weapon to start with. You don't give a 15 year old kid a F1 race car for his first driving lesson.

There is nothing funny about people being frightened away from the sport or dropping weapons because someone "experienced" gave them an overpowered gun for their first foray into shooting.
I agree here 100%. When I first went shooting, the guy first respectfully handed me a .22 pistol. After shooting that a while, he handed me a .38, etc. all the way up to a .45 and a shot gun. Each time, he would have me watch him shoot it first so I would know what kind of recoil to expect. Slow, easy, respectful and considerate will win her over to guns. Try to make it fun, not embarassing, intimidating and scary.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Get her in to the "First Shots" program. This is for new shooters. It is well taught and gives both classroom and range time. And its FREE. If you are in AZ they have the class at Ben Avery range just north of Phoenix. here is a link First Shots: Partner Ranges

Even though you may be an experienced and safe shooter, sometimes it is still best to send new shooters to a training program. If nothing else they get another point of view and they get more gun options.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #6

Liked 1978 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

Honestly, I've been looking for a modern .22 semi auto for a while, and haven't made up my mind. It seems that all brands have some minor problems. I do have a Ruger Mk I that is very reliable, but is more of a target pistol than a substitute for a carry gun. I think between Walther, Sig, S&W, or any of the major brands, you would be o.k. It just might take a while and some minor frustration to find the right ammo for your gun.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #7

I purchased a Walther P22 last year. Got the 5" barrel target version.
Out of the box it jammed, failed to feed, or failed to fire about 20% of the time.
I disasembled and reassembled it and most of the problems went away.
Everything was loose!
Discovered that you MUST use Round Nose ammo or it will fail to feed.
You MUST use high power cartridges or it will fail to eject or cycle.
Even with RN high power cartridges (CCI mini mags or Winchester Super X) it still fails to fire about 1% of the time. This is where the single/double action its appreciated. Double or triple strikes are sometimes necessary.
I feel the hammer strikes are too light (I had cap guns as a kid that struck caps harder) and that needs to be rectified.
The quality of the components and magazines are good and the feel of the grips is simply the BEST for smaller hands.
Wouldn't trust it as a carry gun, but for plinking, it's ok.