Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Sigma "unusual loud click"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sigma "unusual loud click"

My friend has a Smith and Wesson Sigma. When you first rack the slide to chamber a round, it has a very loud and feel able "click"... Have not tried to fire it yet... Any ideas?

Nut up or Shut up!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I would like to say I know and could help, unfortunately, I do not.

I grabbed mine off the desk and racked the slide and I hear nothing unusual.
Have you racked it a few times in a row?
Have you attempted to rack it, while empty, and dry fire it?
Did he recently take down and put it back together?

Maybe, he should have got a Glock!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

That's just the sound of the 125lb trigger spring resetting.

Just kidding, strip it down and look for obvious signs of contact, ejector damage, etc.

Has the gun been modified or broken down recently?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #4

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I would like to say I know and could help, unfortunately, I do not.

I grabbed mine off the desk and racked the slide and I hear nothing unusual.
Have you racked it a few times in a row?
Have you attempted to rack it, while empty, and dry fire it?
Did he recently take down and put it back together?

Maybe, he should have got a Glock!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
That's just the sound of the 125lb trigger spring resetting.
Your finger must have slipped and hit the 5 key on accident, it's only 12lb pull.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #6

Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Your finger must have slipped and hit the 5 key on accident, it's only 12lb pull.
Well the OP did say it had an unusually loud click!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #7

Yes it does it with an empty mag also. We took it apart and could not find any obvious anything out of place. So we took it to the local range and asked the guy that works there that I kind of know. Hes very knowledgeable with this sort of thing and couldnt find anything wrong with it but he gave us a few rounds to put through it. We did and it shot fine. Took it home cleaned it and everything. Still does it... It is right when you start to pull the slide back just as the barrel starts to drop down to allow the slide to slide back. You can feel it holding the grip. Also it only does it on the initial cocking rack. After that if you rack it multiple times after its cocked then it doesnt do it.... I am kinda thinking it may be something in the trigger?

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 08-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Yes it does it with an empty mag also. We took it apart and could not find any obvious anything out of place. So we took it to the local range and asked the guy that works there that I kind of know. Hes very knowledgeable with this sort of thing and couldnt find anything wrong with it but he gave us a few rounds to put through it. We did and it shot fine. Took it home cleaned it and everything. Still does it... It is right when you start to pull the slide back just as the barrel starts to drop down to allow the slide to slide back. You can feel it holding the grip. Also it only does it on the initial cocking rack. After that if you rack it multiple times after its cocked then it doesnt do it.... I am kinda thinking it may be something in the trigger?
That sounds to me like your hearing/feeling the striker being cocked. Pretty normal and just to be sure i checked mine and it does the same. Sounds to me that your pistol is doing exactly what its supposed to do

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 08-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #9

It definitely is not normal. It never used to make that sound, and the guy at the range who is pretty good at gunsmithing said he has never seen a pistol make that sound. If you guys think it would be helpful I can take a video of it and post it up...

Thanks for everyones help and input!

Nut up or Shut up!

Last edited by User Name; 08-07-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Mine does it, I am sure it is just the trigger reseting. I seen this on other sigmas also

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington