Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Sigma "unusual loud click" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/sigma-unusual-loud-click-46260/)

User Name 08-04-2011 10:29 PM

Sigma "unusual loud click"

My friend has a Smith and Wesson Sigma. When you first rack the slide to chamber a round, it has a very loud and feel able "click"... Have not tried to fire it yet... Any ideas?

Shihan 08-04-2011 10:41 PM

I would like to say I know and could help, unfortunately, I do not.

I grabbed mine off the desk and racked the slide and I hear nothing unusual.
Have you racked it a few times in a row?
Have you attempted to rack it, while empty, and dry fire it?
Did he recently take down and put it back together?

Maybe, he should have got a Glock!:rolleyes:

Jpyle 08-04-2011 10:56 PM

That's just the sound of the 125lb trigger spring resetting. :)

Just kidding, strip it down and look for obvious signs of contact, ejector damage, etc.

Has the gun been modified or broken down recently?

VitSports6 08-04-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 556137)
I would like to say I know and could help, unfortunately, I do not.

I grabbed mine off the desk and racked the slide and I hear nothing unusual.
Have you racked it a few times in a row?
Have you attempted to rack it, while empty, and dry fire it?
Did he recently take down and put it back together?

Maybe, he should have got a Glock!
:rolleyes:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...e_6/ohnoes.gif

Shihan 08-04-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 556144)
That's just the sound of the 125lb trigger spring resetting. :)

Your finger must have slipped and hit the 5 key on accident, it's only 12lb pull.;)

Quentin 08-05-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 556150)
Your finger must have slipped and hit the 5 key on accident, it's only 12lb pull.;)

Well the OP did say it had an unusually loud click! :p

User Name 08-06-2011 03:50 AM

Yes it does it with an empty mag also. We took it apart and could not find any obvious anything out of place. So we took it to the local range and asked the guy that works there that I kind of know. Hes very knowledgeable with this sort of thing and couldnt find anything wrong with it but he gave us a few rounds to put through it. We did and it shot fine. Took it home cleaned it and everything. Still does it... It is right when you start to pull the slide back just as the barrel starts to drop down to allow the slide to slide back. You can feel it holding the grip. Also it only does it on the initial cocking rack. After that if you rack it multiple times after its cocked then it doesnt do it.... I am kinda thinking it may be something in the trigger?

ZombieKiller83 08-06-2011 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by User Name (Post 556933)
Yes it does it with an empty mag also. We took it apart and could not find any obvious anything out of place. So we took it to the local range and asked the guy that works there that I kind of know. Hes very knowledgeable with this sort of thing and couldnt find anything wrong with it but he gave us a few rounds to put through it. We did and it shot fine. Took it home cleaned it and everything. Still does it... It is right when you start to pull the slide back just as the barrel starts to drop down to allow the slide to slide back. You can feel it holding the grip. Also it only does it on the initial cocking rack. After that if you rack it multiple times after its cocked then it doesnt do it.... I am kinda thinking it may be something in the trigger?

That sounds to me like your hearing/feeling the striker being cocked. Pretty normal and just to be sure i checked mine and it does the same. Sounds to me that your pistol is doing exactly what its supposed to do:cool:

User Name 08-06-2011 12:29 PM

It definitely is not normal. It never used to make that sound, and the guy at the range who is pretty good at gunsmithing said he has never seen a pistol make that sound. If you guys think it would be helpful I can take a video of it and post it up...

Thanks for everyones help and input!

colmustard 08-06-2011 05:11 PM

Mine does it, I am sure it is just the trigger reseting. I seen this on other sigmas also