Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Sigma SW40VE Range Report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/sigma-sw40ve-range-report-12081/)

SGT-MILLER 03-21-2009 08:03 PM

Sigma SW40VE Range Report

Just arrived back from a quick range trip this afternoon. I ran 108 rounds of .40 FMJ (180 Grain) through my Sigma, and here is an example of my typical results. While not the greatest (I know I can do better. I just have to pay closer attention to the fundamentals), the two groups displayed here (group #1 is 14 rounds, and group #2 is 6 rounds) are serviceable.

The target was engaged at a distance of 15 yards from the standing unsupported position. There were no winds, and the ambient temp was around 60 degrees.

The point of aim for the first group was center bullseye. The point of aim for the second group was the upper-right hand bullseye. Rate of fire was slow and untimed.

Zero malfunctions were encountered. The Sigma ran like a dream the whole time.
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/q...aSW40VE001.jpg

Comments:

- The Sigma SW40VE continues to prove itself as a very capable and dependable sidearm for self-defense purposes.

- Testing of lighter loads will have to be done. I believe that if I use something in the 165 grain or less, my POA and my impacts will be closer together.

- More practice with the trigger pull is needed. I am still in the process of mastering the heavier trigger pull of the Sigma. It is very easy to get off target with the long, heavy pull. Anyone purchasing this weapon will need to put the time in to properly train with it.

Mac79912 03-21-2009 10:03 PM

How heavy is your trigger?Mine feels like a 7 to 8lb pull.I have the 9mm version that I bought from Academy a few months ago.So far no issues with mine.:D

SGT-MILLER 03-21-2009 10:30 PM

My trigger pull is sitting around the 8.5lb to 9.5lb pull range.

I know there are alot of "mods" out there that will lighten the trigger, but I will not do them.

I'm just going to practice a little more with this weapon. The trigger pull has loosened up a slight bit, and is a little more consistent now that I have about 500+ rounds total through it.

I've been spoiled by the light trigger pulls of 1911s, Rugers, Springfields, and whatnot, so it's good for me to practice more with my Sigma.

Means more time at the range which is fine with me. :)

SGT-MILLER 03-21-2009 10:41 PM

Does anybody have any thoughts/comments on the lighter .40 loads as far as recoil and accuracy are concerned when compared to the 180 grain loads???

dnthmn2004 03-21-2009 11:54 PM

I also practice with the 180 grain WWB FMJ. When I empty my carry mags and shoot 165 grain loads, I have noticed a tighter grouping and obviously lighter recoil.

I know you should technically practice with whatever grain load you are going to carry, but the only bulk ammo my Walmart carries is 180 grain WWB and 180 grain Remington UMC.

So you really like the Sigma, huh?

SGT-MILLER 03-22-2009 12:13 AM

Yep. I like the Sigma. I haven't found a reason not to like it yet. The trigger doesn't really bother me. The pistol has operated flawlessly so far, and the overall feel of the pistol is pretty comfortable.

Based on my experience, this is a good quality firearm for a good price (I bought it new for 340 dollars).

Bighead 03-23-2009 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 85212)
I also practice with the 180 grain WWB FMJ. When I empty my carry mags and shoot 165 grain loads, I have noticed a tighter grouping and obviously lighter recoil.

I know you should technically practice with whatever grain load you are going to carry, but the only bulk ammo my Walmart carries is 180 grain WWB and 180 grain Remington UMC.

I would think if you're practicing with a round that has more felt recoil than your carry round you aren't doing yourself any harm. Kinda like training with a weighted vest...

As far as the Sigma, I think this some of the best bang for the buck out there right now, no pun intended. For people that can't afford higher prices, this is a quality gun for the money. Is it on par with JD's Nighthawk Custom pistols?, obviously not...but its also 1/10th the price.

SGT-MILLER 03-23-2009 02:06 PM

I was really surprised when I first fired this pistol. The Sigma is a great deal, and I have no problems with using it as a primary defensive weapon.

I have to be honest, if you are going to spend 300 dollars on a weapon, Ruger would be the better choice, but the Sigma is close behind.