Is the Sigma really THAT bad?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Is the Sigma really THAT bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is the Sigma really THAT bad?

I've been wanting a Smith & Wesson M&P9 for a while now. But it seems like I can never save much more than $300 before something else comes up and destroys my stash. I liked the Sigma too. (that's how I came to the M&P as when I went to look at a Sigma, the guy at the gun shop said what I really wanted was an M&P and he seemed right) The only real problem that I've heard about the Sigma is the poor trigger. My question is: is it really so bad? I want something other than my pair of .22s but I can't seem to get together the cash for the M&P and I really did like the feel of the Sigma (never have found a range that rents one) Will I greatly regret getting a Sigma or should I keep trying to save up the nearly $600 for the M&P?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I am by far no expert, but I do own a Sigma in .357sig and absolutely love this Pistol. I have not had one problem with it. Feels good in my hand and shoots good. I say go for it.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've read than you can send the sigma in for a trigger job from S&W, free, they even pay the shipping. I've read, but not verified since I do not own a sigma.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #4

Good pistol and the trigger is not that bad. Like a double action revolver. I've had my 9 mm for several years and never a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Great deal on them right now, also. S&W has a rebate going on for $50.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

If you can put up with the ghastly trigger it's a reliable gun. Just be sure to understand going in that the resale value on Sigma's is next to nill so be sure you want one.

Yes, I've owned a couple and I've done the home trigger job - but it still was not really good. If you go this route, the 9mm version holds it's value a bit better than the .40 version...

Last edited by NGIB; 10-10-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #6

I owned a Sigma 9mm and got rid of it very quickly. I now own a M&P 9 and absolutely love it. I could not get past the trigger on the Sigma. I also had a couple of issues with it jamming. Overall, if you absolutely can't afford the M&P, then the Sigma is better than nothing. If at all possible, hold out and get an M&P. Check out Bud's Gun Shop for good pricing.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 10-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You also might consider a Ruger P95... about the same price tag of the Sigma... just saying...

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I own the Sigma in .40S&W, It was the first pistol I ever bought and I love it.
It's reliable, comfortable and fairly accurate. The trigger pull is hard but it really doesn't bother me.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #9

I have owned the both new and old generation sigmas and they are ok guns for the price and yes you can send them to S&W for trigger work. If your buying a pistol to buy a pistol then why not but if you truly want that other gun save up till you get it do what i do put it on layway and just keep paying on it till its mine mine mine

Old 10-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not a fan of the Sigma in .40. It hurts your hand and has more kick than any .45 I've shot. It's not very accurate if you enjoy precision shooting (i.e. hitting what you are aiming at)

My .02