Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Sight adjustment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sight adjustment.

I thought I might share how I go about adjusting the sights on a firearm (specifically a handgun).

I first pick a specific point on the target I want the rounds to hit then I allign my sights on that point. After alligning my sights I take a few, well aimed shots at the point. I then proceed to unload the firearm first and check the Point of Impact. Here's where it might get a tad confusing to newer shooters. If the shots group low of where I had my sights alligned then I go about raising my rear sights. How I think of it is when you raise the rear sights if you took the same sight picture as if it wasn't raised then the front sight wouldn't be properly alligned with the rear sight. Instead it would be lower in the sight picture, so to correct this you would raise the front sight in your sight picture to allign it. When this is done the angle of the firearm changes slightly in how you're holding it. So the angle is raised slightly in order to allign the front sight with the rear sight. All of this results in the Point of Impact being higher, and you would keep adjusting the rear sight until you got the Point of Impact where you are holding the sights. To adjust your sights if the firearm is shooting high you would do exactly the opposite. Lower the rear sights. Then if you took the same sight picture as to if the rear sights were not lowered the front sight would be higher than the rear sight, so you would adjust the front sight and lower it to allign it with the rear sight which slightly adjusts the angle of the firearm.

I hope this will be helpfull to y'all. If it was I will do a thread on windage adjustment.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I realize I made a mistake or two in this thread. So I'm going to make a new/improved one with visuals.

I do not have Photoshop so I will not be able to make visuals. So what I'll do for now is gather more information that I can and link a video that should help.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Last edited by Firearms4ever; 10-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have always heard and now teach, move the rear site, in the direction that the impact needs to move. Shooting low, the impact needs to be up, so move the rear site up.
I would caution a new shooter that adjusting the sites needs to be the last thing they try. New shooters seem to want to jump to the reason they are not hitting the target in the desired place is because the stites are off, usually they are not. Be very sure you need to adjust the sites first and record the small changes you make and see what changes it causes to impact.
My two cents.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2744 Times on 1592 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

I try to stress to new users grouping first. Use the same point of aim for each shot, and work from there.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)