SIG Sauer VS Glock - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer VS Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

I should also say we've gotten way off course of sigs here...intially all I wanted to say is that sigs and glocks are two totally different guns and should not be compared in the same category with the exception of reliabilty because there they are matched competitors.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #112

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncduck View Post
Tenifer is no doubt better, but once the epa banned it, it seems Austria jumped on the band wagon.
The EPA has never allowed the Tenifer process to be done here since Glock has been in existence. That is the reason Glocks are manufactured in Austria, but assembled in Smyrna, Georgia. It is the only way they can get Tenifer on the guns and sell them here.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #113

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
Glock is still using Tenifer. There were some Glocks that were manufactured here that utilized a Melonite process. This was done because Tenifer is illegal in this country because of the restrictions imposed by the EPA. They can be identified by the lighter grey color of the slide. Also they do not have "Austria" appearing anywhere on the slide. I don't know what the current status is of the stateside manufactured guns, or even if they still are being manufactured here. But all Glocks that are made in Austria, including the Generation IV models, have Tenifer. There would be zero reason for Glock to move away from it. It is one of their biggest selling points, and reasons their weapons have such extremely high durability.
Why did the EPA ban the tenifer,is it a hazardous process?

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #114

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Why did the EPA ban the tenifer,is it a hazardous process?
It is very similar to Melonite, except for the chemicals used, along with what is required for their disposal. In addition because of that, the cost is all but prohibitive even if it were legal. That is why Springfield uses Melonite. The problem is that it is not as good. Some will argue, but both the Smith & Wesson M&P, as well as the Springfield XD have had rusting issues. The Tenifer treated Glocks are all but totally rust proof. Some will say it was because the Melonite wasn't applied properly. Again Glock has never had an issue with "bad" Tenifer.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #115

Likes Given: 1

It produces cyanide gas as a by product...tenifer is not used anymore by glock I promise you that...call your local glock rep if you don't believe it...it's a shame.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

It is very similar to Melonite, except for the chemicals used, along with what is required for their disposal. In addition because of that, the cost is all but prohibitive even if it were legal. That is why Springfield uses Melonite. The problem is that it is not as good. Some will argue, but both the Smith & Wesson M&P, as well as the Springfield XD have had rusting issues. The Tenifer treated Glocks are all but totally rust proof. Some will say it was because the Melonite wasn't applied properly. Again Glock has never had an issue with "bad" Tenifer.
I love the tenifer,i wish i could get my 1911 done that way. Talking about the XDs,i had two different XD .40s and both of them would rust in no time flat.thats one reason why i dont care for the XDs

Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #117

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock

Really, Shi? Could you be any ruder?
Now you've done it....

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncduck
It produces cyanide gas as a by product...tenifer is not used anymore by glock I promise you that...call your local glock rep if you don't believe it...it's a shame.
Dang,never knew that.. It is a shame

Old 01-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #119

Sorry mcduck but tenifer is still used by glock. Also tenifer doesnt produce a black color, it is dull gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKfaq
The tenifer finish is an extremely hard surface preparation that is impregnated into the slide before the black parkerized coating is applied. Even if the black coating is wearing off, the slide is is still protected by the tenifer finish.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKfaq
The true FeN (tenifer) coating has a dull-gray color surface. Definitely, never black. In some applications, FeN coatings can also be polished to give a bright metal finish appearance.
So please stop trying to spread disinformation.

PS. they did stop using the old bath method that released cyanide & now use the plasma gas method, however, it is still a true FeN coating. Only difference, no more cyanide.

Last edited by SteveA; 01-02-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #120

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I love my Sig's