SIG Sauer VS Glock - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer VS Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by undumb View Post
....gun and holster kept pulling my speedo's down.
....sounds like you wear a back up pair.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #102

Likes Given: 1

You all are comparing apples to oranges...glocks and sigs are two different breeds of handguns. Quality of manufacturing wise, Sig trumps glock by far. One is striker fired though while a 220 series gun is Da/sa...Sig uses a classic 18 degree grip angle while glock's is much steeper. Neither is more reliable, although for long term accuracy a Sig will be better considering that glock does not harden any barrels...glock is great but consider that for any Sig worth buying you're paying 850 at least whereas a glock is 500...there is a large difference is price for a reason. I should add that I own a 226 in .357 Sig and a glock 23 and will carry my sig any day over my glock...glocks were an acceptable gun 10 years ago, but in this day and age they'll have to make some kind of serious change to compete long term with a gun like the s and w m and p...glocks have the reputation of consistantly working cause they do but don't think that means that other guns don't work as well.

Last edited by ncduck; 01-01-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #103

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailypoe
As far as widespread government use, glock wins hands down, being used with over half of police forces. USMC use sigs, The FBI use 1911's.
I've done 13 years in the USMC and the only pistol I've seen in a Marine's holster, or even the armories for that matter are beretta M9's. That's not to say there isn't a small stock of sigs somewhere (MarSoc maybe) but you said widespread govt use and for the Corps thats the M9. As far as widespread use though, you are probably right. Your average cop has a glock in
his holster.

You have to consider why that is though. The last thing a cop wants to do is mess with a bunch of safeties and switches and crap when he draws on a bad guy. He also needs something cheap enough it can be widely distributed.

The Glock is a ready to fire weapon that has precautions against accidental discharge and in the grand scheme of things is cheap and has repair parts easily available. All these things make the Glock attractive to a police department. If you want a pretty weapon ther are prettier than either the sig or Glock. If you want a safe weapon, there are safer, same goes for cheap, but a Glock is a good combo of these things if you don't mind no manual safety.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #104

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think almost all the top gun makers make darn fine guns these days and will work and last a long time when taken care of, I think there all great.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #105

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncduck View Post
Neither is more reliable, although for long term accuracy a Sig will be better considering that glock does not harden any barrels.
Glock barrels are treated inside and out with Tenifer, which produces a surface coating almost as hard as diamond. Their barrel steel is 4140, which is the standard of the firearms industry for barrels. I have never heard of, let alone seen a Glock barrel that was "shot out". Glock has range rental guns out in the field that have had over one MILLION rounds put through them. These guns are still shooting their original factory barrels.

Also, Glock uses Polygonal Rifling which reduces wear, as well as bullet to barrel friction even further. If anything a Glock barrel will out last a Sig barrel which is uncoated, and has conventional rifling. With that said, barrel wear in handguns, regardless of make and caliber, has never been an issue in regards to longevity. There are other parts on a pistol that will end their service life long before the barrel does.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #106

Glock barrels are not treated with tenifer nor are the slides anymore...the slides are now treated with a process called nitration and as far as wear goes I'm going Sig everytime...I blew out a glock barrel already...they claimed it as a factory defect and I got a new one, but nonetheless blew it out...I'm a gunsmith and certified Sig and glock armorer and I will say as great as glocks may be there is no competition between Sig and glock. long term a 220 series Sig will out run a glock (especially in anything in other than 9mm) everytime. Keep in mind I'm only talking 220 series Sigs, nothing else from them is worth a crap as pistols go...if you said you were looking at a Sig p250 I'd tell you to go with glock, s and w m and p, or even a fn fnp...all three guns are exceptional choices in the polymer category.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncduck View Post
Glock barrels are not treated with tenifer.
The Glock Papers -- General Overview of the Glock

"Glock barrels and slides are made from quality steel which has been treated with a special "Tenifer" process. This colorless carbo-nitrate formula enriches the steel with oxygen, sealing its pores. Tenifer makes the steel extremely hard (as hard as industrial diamond on the Rockwell scale) and corrosion resistant. The steel will not scratch or rust, period! In fact, the slide is so hard you can use it to sharpen your knives.

The barrel is treated both inside and out. Because of this, Glock barrels do not show the normal wear associated with untreated barrels by other manufacturers. Glock, Inc., has one barrel which has fired one million rounds and still works; another has fired 300,000 rounds and still shoots better than 1½" groups!"

Old 01-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #108

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
The Glock Papers -- General Overview of the Glock

[B]"Glock barrels and slides are made from quality steel which has been treated with a special "Tenifer" process.
My dog ain't in this fight...just pointing out that ncduck said "anymore"...the site "The Glock Papers" has a copyright date of 1998 and is not an official Glock website. I personally don't know what Glock is useing for metal treatment. I don't keep up much with Glock. If they aren't useing Tenifer anymore, that would be a huge mistake IMO...as it was the (is) the best in the business.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #109

Glock is still using Tenifer. There were some Glocks that were manufactured here that utilized a Melonite process. This was done because Tenifer is illegal in this country because of the restrictions imposed by the EPA. They can be identified by the lighter grey color of the slide. Also they do not have "Austria" appearing anywhere on the slide. I don't know what the current status is of the stateside manufactured guns, or even if they still are being manufactured here. But all Glocks that are made in Austria, including the Generation IV models, have Tenifer. There would be zero reason for Glock to move away from it. It is one of their biggest selling points, and reasons their weapons have such extremely high durability.

Last edited by billt; 01-01-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #110

There are still guns being sold that have tenifer but as far as newly manufactured guns none have tenifer anymore...next time you go to a gun shop ask to see a gen3 vs a new gen4...there will be a distinct color difference between the tenifer and the nitration...nitration will be very black where as tenifer will be more charcoal grey black. I just recerted and learned this for myself only 2 months ago. Tenifer is no doubt better, but once the epa banned it, it seems Austria jumped on the band wagon. I'm not trying to bash glock, but nowadays for what you pay for glocks there are better made guns. The m and p is a solid choice as well (also an m and p armorer); it features all stainless parts that have then been melonized...next to tenifer and nitration, melonite is the next best thing for gun finishes it seems. M and ps also have a steel chassis running through their polymer frame which gives quite a bit of increased rigidity. Not to mention that if your rails begin wearing a little too much for comfort, you can replace the front locking block(front rail) and the rear sear housing assembly(rear rails) on an m and p. In my OPINION the m and p has come in and beaten the glock in many ways(and as far as base design goes it still has all the obvious benefits that make glock so reliable since at its core it is almost a glock). Not to mention that the m and p is taking the law enforcement world by storm...glock is now losing police contracts while s and w is gaining them.

Last edited by ncduck; 01-01-2012 at 05:48 PM.